Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Brake type

Jeepman 1943

Enthusiast
Photo0608.jpg Photo0611.jpg Hello, Can anyone help me get the right brake parts for my 1985 Renault 4 Van ? It is fitted with 228mm DRUMS with a front operating handbrake. I need shoes and wheel cylinders but have been told there are two types GIRLING or BENDIX ? Can anyone here tell by these pictures which type I need please ? Thanks all.

• Photo0609.jpg
    Photo0609.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1
I think you will find that they are Bendix, i take it your van is LHD ?

Yes they look like Bendix but there are different ones, i have in the past bought Bendix and they've had holes in different places and so would'nt fit, so if possible take one off and get a match to be sure.

Yes they look like Bendix but there are different ones, i have in the past bought Bendix and they've had holes in different places and so would'nt fit, so if possible take one off and get a match to be sure.
I am trying to order some from Der Franzose but there appears to be several that MAY be right. I don't want to take the van off the road as I have waited over two months to finally get the DVLA to register it ! Everything I try to order for the thing seems to have umpteen different choices. A nightmare start to Renault ownership to be honest.

Tell me about it, i have a mixture of different hmmmm cars and vans (sad i know) but as i said they don't always match up with the vehicle that you have so it's always best to physical have an item with you to check it's right.

I have found Der Franzose part number 84027 which APPEARS to be right but who knows. I can feel this is going to be a very short ownership.

Ahh don't be like that, it's half the fun of owning one, my first one i bought in 1978 and apart from a few years when the children where growing up i've had one most of the time, but it can be a bit frustrating sometimes.
The ones you quoted i've looked in the catalogue and they apear to be correct.

Ahh don't be like that, it's half the fun of owning one, my first one i bought in 1978 and apart from a few years when the children where growing up i've had one most of the time, but it can be a bit frustrating sometimes.
The ones you quoted i've looked in the catalogue and they apear to be correct.
I have just emailed them to ask their opinion so will see what transpires. I had a R4 during my time with HM Forces in BAOR but it seemed a lot easier to get parts then. I am reluctant to take it off the road straight away as I have already lost nearly a month of tax and three months insurance and MOT waiting on the DVLA to verify it for UK registration. The brakes work but are adjusted fully so thought I would replace the lot in one go. My local parts place can't cope with anything more than five years old.

It is difficult when you first have one but once you have one and find where you can obtain parts it gets easier.
but the way i'm not that far away from you if you get stuck, about 12 miles.

You're always welcome to call if you're this way, I will be the one banging his head against his garage wall :)

Yes,they are in both countries just google Mister auto uk then type in your make and model ,they have a lot of parts.

I know that you have had problems as spotted your tale of woe on facebook page it was me who suggested Brian Whiteside
We are all here to help
Quite a lot of r4 parts are different which makes life fun and even with 40 yrs experience with r4 admit der franzose listing system is ambiguous
Just ask on here and someone will guide you or offer parts and or advice

Back