Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clio running problems....

savagev8

Hi there everyone :D
I have a 1991 Renault Clio RT 1.4 Auto to run about in.
Im hoping you can help me out with a problem i have been having recently.

It suddenly starting randomly deciding it would'nt start, turned over great, was getting fuel (pugs wet), but was always on my own so could not check for a spark. (i found this to only happen when it was hot, and after letting it cool down for a while it would start first time) :roll:

I changed the plugs, and gave everything a general look over, could'nt see anything that looked out of place.
I changed the CTS sensor and no more starting issues.

However when i start it now, i have to hold it at around 1000rpm otherwise it cuts out, after about five minutes its ok, but is using alot of fuel and running awful until its warm. (missing alot)

I know its a long shot, but i am getting so fed up with it, and my girlfriend is pregnant so i hacve to be using a reliable car.

Any help would be brilliant.

Thanks guys :wink:

buy a renault 4
no seriously by cts i gues you mean coolant tempuratur sensor was this genuine part or a copy as fitting wrong one will seriosly upset fuelling as it works on resistance changing with temp rising
what was part number if non genuine ? was plastic bit white in colour ?
it is possible that one of the two wires has slid up the connector plug or has broken in loom if you were alittle heavy handed and didnt release square clip first

personally with intermittant starting normal problem is crank angle sensor or tdc as renault like to call it (sometimes ) this bolts to gearbox bell housing 2 -11mm stepped bolts may respond to cleaning with petrol /carb cleaner

this is unique to 4spd auto clio with ad4 box so may be expensive £20-30 ?

clever people plug these sort of problems into diagnostic computer but then charge you accordingly

good luck paul

Hi, thansk for your reply.

Yes i mean the temperature coolant sensor. It was not a genuine part, the box says Ci on it and the part number is XTTS30 or 53282.

It suddenly decided not to start again last night, outside Blockbuster :eek:
How embarassing:roll::D

Luckily i had a friend with me, so i checked for spark, and nothing. Plugged the plug into the coil lead and no spark from that either.

Wiggled everything i could see:roll: and still nothing.

Gave up, put it back together, shut the bonnet and it started first time:eek::twisted:

I am going to order a crank angle sensor and TDC sensor today.

I have a friend who says he can test the igniton module, which is mounted with the coil i believe??
Is that a common problem?

sorry for delay forgot i had to check this part of forum
coils are normally reliable in that if they pack up they do so permanantly
the coil will unscrew from rest of module and very rarely do they become intermittant but it is possible to have a bad connection between them on connector pins

the coil/ module is common to most renaults of similar age ie espace r 19 early laguna
etc
hope you sort it out
unable to confirm part number for coolant sensor as pc is home and my parts are at work but will not stop sparking any way

Well, it now has a new CTS, Crank angle sensor and coil.

Still no better :roll::roll:

I have had no starting issues, but it still runs crap until warm :roll::(

However, i have noticed, it has platinum plugs in it, do you think its worth changing these to standard NGK's?
Im not even sure if the heat grade of the plugs is correct for the car, surely that would cause these problems do you think?

Thanks for your advice :wink:

anyone thought about checking the distributor cap and rotor..

just a thought

I have changed cap and rotor, crank angle sensor, and coil aswell now :wink:

It has no starting issues, although it still runs abit rough.

Now having a issue with it sticking itself in second gear and not changing gear :roll:

Damn thing lol!

Have you replaced the HT leads ? as they can break down with age . If not and you do replace them only buy top quality ones Try GSF as they probably have O/E Renault ones Or maybe Bosch. Going to a Renault Dealer might be very expensive but it's worth an ask. GSF £23.50 +vat But don't know who's make .

non run

hi i have a mk1 clio rsi with a 2.1l lagona lump in it but ever since it was changed it puts too much fuel in and plugs get wet witch floods it and it not start!!

and when it does start it runs very rich!!

any ideas thanks??:hug:

help

h my clio mk1 1996 has 51k on clocks was runing fine its cost me alot of money in body parts but to day i was out shopping an my clio just cut out i then got it to start got it home an now it wont start it's like there is no petrol in it BUT THERE IS plz help :(

Could be almost anything, you don't say how mechanically minded you are but one likely culprit is fuel starvation, probably rubbish in carb or filter due to low mileage/short trips. But it could be fuel filter/spark plugs/distributor/ht leads/or almost any part of the fuel or spark delivery.

It could also be a combination of several problems, you need to go through it systematically, starting with spark.

Back