Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Clutch Plate Change - yes im going for it, here we go. Photos.

Day 5,,,,

Hi Mr Reno,

Yes I was worried and I took it all apart and flipped the clutch plate as per Haynes wit the proud centre bit sticking out not in.

I didnt detach the exhaust no.

I found on the second disassembly (which took a 1/4 of the time to do) , that it was so much easier for me if you dissemble the whole steering rack and take it out completely. The fact that I have to change the tie rod ends for new ones is also a reason that I took it out.

I feel so much more relaxed now knowing that its right. Its worth making sure.

Today new ball joints drive shafts back in and re do the timing then fluids and away we go.

Sprackers

I find it enjoyable to read how others carry out jobs on their cars as I much prefer to learn from their mistakes than to make my own. Although to hear of tips such as turning the engine over in 2nd gear whilst one of the front wheels is jacked off the ground. This sort of stuff can't usually be found in Haynes.

Week 2.

Replaced the steering rack tie rod ends with new ones. That was very easy but removing the upper ball joints that are on the wish bone was a little tougher.

Haynes was quite clear to drill them out form the top. My drill even with a new drill bit didn't seem to make any impression so very carefully I got my angle grinder out and took the top end of the rivets off.
Then with a chisel underneath got in-between the old ball joint and the wish bone and with a few hearty blows she came away and the new ones are on.

IMG_4884[1].JPG

Ive hit a snag.:confused:

when i pulled the gearbox out form under the car, I initially tried to remove the gear stick, I pulled it backwards and forwards and even tried to unscrew it.

I also removed the small (what I thought) was a locking nut at the base of the gear stick to remove the gear stick completely.

No matter how hard I tried i couldn't get it out.

I left it in.

In was able , weirdly however , to change gear when the gear box was out of the car by moving the gear stick with my hand.

Ive put it all back together, filled the gearbox with transmission oil, and now and the gear stick will not move out of 1st?

I fear that I have done something bad when I was wiggling the gear leaver about when the gearbox was on the garage floor without oil in it.

Has anyone experienced this problem and how did they resolve it.

Regards

Sprackers

Hi Sprackers, remember that you have to adjust your clutch lever so that when you depress your pedal, it moves the clutch plate a few millimeters off the flywheel

It is probably stuck in a gear. Whatever it is does not matter.
If the car is back on both wheel try to gently rock it a bit forward and backwards.

Clutch depression should not matter if the engine is not running.
You must be able to change gears without pressing down the clutch with the engine of.

I do hope the above method helps you some.

Hi chaps

What worries me, is that I was able, as harbourseal says, to be able to change gear when the gearbox was completely out of the car. and then when it was still out of the car it suddenley got stuck and i couldnt move it. Its stuck in first.

I then decided to put the whole thing back in the car. maybe I shouldnt have.

I put it all back together and hooked up the clutch plate wire again and tightened it up.

Sure, I can depress the clutch pedal and it feels good with the amount of resistnace but the gear still wont budge.

Ive pushed the car along the drive in gear and still the gear wont budge.

Do you think that with my wiggling of the gear stick when the gear box was out, ive chipped something off inside the gear box?

bear in mind when i was moving the gear stick about when the gear box was off the car, there was no oil in it.

What I have done is filled the transmission box with oil now in the hope that it frees it up.

Im not sure what else I can do.

Probably completely irrelevant, but its likely that because you changed gear when the gear box was out the car, it might be in 3rd gear.(or reverse)

The gear stick inside the car moves left and forward for 1st gear, but the gear lever on top of the gear box would move right and forward. Also easier to push the car on your driveway in 3rd gear.

Just a suggestion.......try and start the car with clutch pedal depressed. It will probably jump forward, of course, but it might loosen up the gears.

Before you do this, wait for a comment from someone with a bit more knowledge. i'd hate to be the one who makes your problem worse.

Im topping up the gear strranmission fluid right now. Then I will try again with it oilled to move the gear lever. If not I can see only one way. The Mojobaby way!!

Normally you can change gear when the car is stationary. So something funny going on.

I have never tried to remove the gear stick from the gearbox, but I think it is secured from the underside of the top cover so that should not have caused damage. Oil should not be the problem as you can wiggle the gear shift when the engine is not running.

If you open the hood and wiggle the gearshift where it sticks out of the gearbox does it change gear?

Probably wishing you had let me do it now
Seriously I would start it up and see if things sort them selves out
Alternatively you are likely to have to take top of gearbox off for investigation it is possible the lever has got disconnected from selectors in gearbox
If no one is closer you could pay me to come and investigate for you

Hahahahaha......never crossed my mind Mr Reno :laughing:.

I cant get the car started now, I think its time to change the battery connectors. Lights come on but no click on th starter. I want to try and start it first to see if it sorts itself out.

If not I will open the top of the gear box and take a look (take some photos) and see if I can see something up.

I hope shes ready in time for the "Rallaye Zell am Zee 2018" end of January 2018 (its only me and my Dad going:laughing:) 3 days get there.

OK I managed to get her to jump forward. ITs was stuck in 1st. Did that a few times and the gear stivk didnt budge.

So decided to take off the top of the gear box. Not knowing a thing what I was going to find as its would be the first time ive seen the inside of a gearbox ever.

Decided to remove the radiator again (3rd time) and drain the newly filled cooling fluid form the system.

Revealed the top of the ther gear box and removed all the nuts (size 11 socket!!) undid the speedo cable and also the little nut at the base of the gear stick.

IMG_4920[1].JPG

with all the nuts off I very sloweley prized off the top of the gear box. Bit like openning a box with a mystery anaimal inside.

IMG_4921[1].JPG

I could see all inside. Fascinating.

I focused in on the bit circled by red. That is where obviously things move to cahnge the gear. they obviously move towards the top and towards the bottom of the photo. ie towards the front of the gearbox and towards the back of the gear box.

Before (2).JPG

I could see wher I was forcing the gear leaver by the little indentations. Me being stupid.
I could see three notches. you can see from the photo above that the two notches on the two slidy things on the right were in line. But the third notch on the left of the three was slightly below.

With very litlle force , I slid the third notch inline with the other two.

After1.JPG

It slid easlily and all three notches were in line. All in line with the red lines.

I then relaced the the top very slowely, it sorr of clicked into place, I then replaced the screw at the bottom of the gear stick. It can only go in correctly in one posisiotn.
then put it all back together.

And the gear now changes.:clapping:.

Re installed alll the radiator and filled it back up with the fluid I saved from the drainning.

Started her up and seh fired and ran.

Lunch now with Beer and Cricket.

Maybe later trial run. Phew. Im knackerd.

Well done. :fighting:
The first time I lifted the engine and gearbox, I did it with a friend that knows what he's doing.
So respect for tackling it alone with the help of the internet and a haynes.
Idd also go for loads of beer and other stuff to celebrate.:clapping::drunk::drunk::drunk:

Chrisitne is back together yes IVE FINISHED IT.

IMG_4930[1].JPG

Went for a test run after checking the wheel alignment, had to change the tie rod ends position by screwing them in a few more turns. As Haynes said its trial and error.

More importantly the clutch..........

Put it into 4th gear early and gunned it and before it would have slipped straight away, but now it doesnt.

FANTASTICO.

Cheers for everyones help and guidance and between you and me it was great fun doing it, and boy have I learnt alot.

Now for a beer.

Cheers!

Back