Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Coil spring inquiry

Brian Moseti

Enthusiast
Hi, I am restoring a 1981 4TL. I cant find the original front coil springs around (Kenya) and I would like to modify from what is locally available. However, I am not sure how long the springs should be and I hope you can help me with the measurements and any other fitting details for the springs. A picture, too, of how the sit will help a lot. Thank you.

It doesnt? Ok. I bought mine with coil springs at the front. Must have been mods. Will get them off

Perhaps it was available as a "rough road" option, but I'very never heard of a R4 with coil springs. So it does sound like a modification. Presumably it has the original torsion bars still?

Yes... the torsion bars are intact. I have just checked it again after speaking to you and the springs do look out of place. Getting rid of them now because I have new shocks now.

Hi Jjad...
Might you have a wiring diagram for the '81 R4... ordered the Haynes Manual but it wont be here until two weeks. Also, if you can help me find the function of the switches in the image below, I will be truly grateful. My dash came without the switches, but I am planning on fitting them the way they should be originally. Thanks in advance

• switches2.jpg
    switches2.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 3
Sorry for not replying, Brian. My car doesn't have switches like that. I think someone else has replied in your other thread. I only have the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual, which you hopefully will have soon.

1. windscreen washer hand pump
2. windscreen wipers
3. heater blower motor
4. hazard lights / parking lights / brake fluid level warning, depending of model year.

Is this actually your R4? Very nice interior indeed!

Back