Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Distributor .... the next steps

Richnd1974

Enthusiast
Howdy All
I am about to tackle the next steps on the engine, could you help me identify what distributor I have, I think from the picture I have managed to capture it's a ducellier distributor (I think). Its on my 956cc 1989 R4 and I am looking to replace the points, rotar, cap, condenser, coil and leads as they all look a little elderly and that it's running a little rough. I have considered electronic ignition and again if you can point me in the right direction of the bits I might need. I shall attempt to get them locally and save money getting them shipped from Franzose.
I have tested the vacum advance an that seems to be working ok.

Cheers
Richard.

Pics of what I have

• 20170622_124142.jpg
    20170622_124142.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170622_123932.jpg
    20170622_123932.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 15
  • 20170622_123922.jpg
    20170622_123922.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 15
There should be some information stamped on to the side of the distributor body. That will help with your identification.

I might have to take it out to find out what type I have, or disturb the timing and spin it around..

Richard
Yes, it's a Ducellier. According to my 'Revue Technique', the 956 distributor should have R268 C52 stamped on the side.
It's difficult to be sure from your photos, but it looks as though whoever last changed the points adapted the 'wrong' set. If your points can't be adjusted from outside the distributor, then you need the set on the right in the first picture- Intermotor 22900 or its equivalent. The set on the left with the backward-facing lugs is for Ducelliers with externally-adjustable points - like the one in the bottom picture. Its fixed part has a protruding boss on the underside which would normally prevent it sitting flush on your baseplate, hence the ingenious adaptation! None of this really matters if your distributor is working well, but getting the 'right' points would save you extra work!
Intermotor references for the other parts: Coil- 11040; Condenser- 33650; Cap- 46050; Rotor- 47400
P1040203.JPG P1040204.JPG P1040205.JPG P1040206.JPG P1040208.JPG

Thanks Andy - I think you might have nailed the issue on the head, it doesn't surprise me if they are in fact the wrong ones in there.. I shall take a photo in a mo with out the rotor arm in place. Things seem to be working apart from bad timing and lots of pinking under high load / full throttle leading me to think there is an issues with the ignition system.

Excellent managed to order all the Intermotor bits up from my local motor factors to arrive tomorrow including new leads for £66 inc the vat.. excellent :-)

Just need to know the clearance of the points gap and I am good to roll :-) seemly this is also tricky information to locate.

Andy you have been most helpful, thanks for taking the time out of your day to point me in the right direction.. more photos and updates tomorrow - when I hope I get it alls sorted and running like a honey :-)

Would recommend investing in dwell meter as the reading can be checked with engine running and confirm the gap is staying constant across rev range
Also make sure the plastic heel is well lubricated as the gap will quickly close up
Original quality points had a fibre heel and far superior but unobtainable now
Dwell meter only 20 gbp on ebay

Richard,

I guess you've given up on the electronic ignition route? I did write a lengthy and thorough thread of fitting electronic ignition to my 4GTL just a few weeks ago. Fit and forget. Points are so 'retro' ;-)

I am thinking I might just do that, save the money on a Dwell meter and save myself some hassle. I shall change the points today as they are being delivered and the old ones are clearly wrong, I think electronic ignition has to be the way forward..

Richard, You will still need to beg, borrow or steal a stroboscope as although I left the distributor undisturbed on the engine, once I'd fitted the electronic ignition, when I checked the timing, it was a little way out. Sweet as a nut now.

I've got strobe light, so just replaced the points, disi cap, rotar condenser and leads, adjusted gap to 0.40mm, fired up first time and ran sweet, test drive in a mo, picture of the burnt out points... Will leave the coil until later

• 20170623_142538.jpg
    20170623_142538.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170623_142450.jpg
    20170623_142450.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170623_142404.jpg
    20170623_142404.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 8
So test drive results, low down all good, idles nicely but put my foot down it's very chuffy and a little sluggish, will recheck the points.. Electronic conversion looks like a plan.

Back