Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Distributor parts - which are good choise

petak

Enthusiast
Hello guys!

I am struggling with my dizzy, fuel, carb part of engine. Can not get smooth ride with my GTL

Set it all (points, plugs, timing) many times and always same problem.

Now i would like to buy new points, rotor arm, rotor cap, capacitor, but do not know which one are good (and worth money) and which are bad (do not use them even if they are free)

For example.....valeo points are good but magneti marelli are not good....

Do you have experience with different manufacturers and can say from which parts are good and from witch are not good.

I have few points, rotor caps, arms and capacitor but do not know if they are good or bad and are all my problems coming from them.

Depends on what make of dizzy you have,ducellier are the best and all their parts are valeo,femsa are hard to get and expensive ,bougicord make points and condenser which are ok.
I think magneti marelli where only fitted to the smaller engines and bosch do their parts,this is in France. I would not buy anything in a plain white box!!
How do you set it up? the best way is with a dwell meter for the points and the timming by ear turning the dizzy till you get the fastest and smooth running,the engines are usually to old and worn to set a specific 5 or 7 degrees the engine also needs to be warm.Also make sure there are know air leaks round the carb and if you have a breather going into the manifold try blanking it off.
hope this helps

My dizzy is ducellier R244 D61.
Point gap is set with feeler gauge to 0,45, timing with strob light at 6-7°, and air tightness with start spray - did not react on it.

So valeo is best choice for ducellier

Forget using feeler guage need a dwell meter as you can set exactly to 57 degrees and rev engine and check the dwell reading stays constant
You can also suck on the vacuum pipe and check the sliding effect of moving points sideways doesn't alter dwell angle
Finally after all that the timing is best set by trial and error sufficient advanced at idle for performance and not too far for pinking to occur
This makes a big difference to drive ability
I normally use a white marker pen on base of distributor to mark the official timing setting then road test and it's easier to see how far you have altered position
Hopefully this makes sense once you have translated back to your own language ☺

Valeo should be best for ducellier as they own it,dwell meter will also tell if the dizzy is worn.
sounds like you have just set it up by the book you need to adjust timming ,try what mr reno sugested.

Well, Mr-reno-139 .....it make sense even on my language :)

Than i need to buy dwell meter as i do not have one.

Looked at ebay but many of them are coming from China/Hong Kong.... does anyone know are they any good?

1. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271541429988?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT free pp to Croatia
2.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNI-T-UT1...062963?hash=item5b0b4481b3:g:nrYAAOSw8d9UucxQ little bit expenceive
3. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AT2150B-D...222088?hash=item210d6dd348:g:3foAAOSwhDdXD2~1 UK seller but looks like instrument is form China

My own one is branded draper but no doubt made in China
Since modern cars don't have points the quality tool suppliers have dropped dwell as function from most modern multi meters
My one is now 5 yrs old but lcd display missing sections
Of course some would use this as an excuse to fit electronic ignition
Probably using equally poor Chinese quality components ☺

Somehow third one is "looking" best and think will go for that one!
It will be fastest one to come!

Back