Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Door seals?

Minty

Enthusiast
Have bouhgt new rubber door seals for MINTY, just tried double sided tape to fit them which did not work. Does anyone know how to do this? Suggestions greatfully received, thanks:)

Contact adhesive.....something like patex total.
Worked fine for my door rubbers.

I used womi mastic on both the green F6 and my new project. Works fine.

Yes just done mine. I used Gummi something from Der Franzose. But another time I'd use Evo Stick contact adhesive. Check out my thread 'What I am doing' Glue must be touch dry on both faces before pressing together. Be very careful you dont stretch the rubber as you go round the door as this will make tension across the inside corners like near the door catches. Check the footprint of the rubber profile and dont go outside this with the glue on the door or it will look horrible:o. Be very sure of the location of the rubber on the door by following an existing one. Will send you photos if you get stuck (literally ;)) as the leading edges of the front doors and the boot lid can be confusing! PM me if you need to:whistle:

Thanks for all the great tips. We have made a start, quite hair raising!! Got there in the end. Drivers door now done, but very hard to close as the rubber is not squashing into the front hinge area, so .............. things that make you go "Hhmmm"

Maybe try a hair dryer to warm up rubber then open and close a few times finally leaving to cool down in closed position

Hmm that's a thought Paul. My doors are difficult to close

I have ordered a new set from derfranzose + their glue, so will let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed x

So am I! Waiting for new door seals to arrive. Will let you know what happens...

• WP_20160621_16_41_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160621_16_41_07_Pro.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 0
Yes just done mine. I used Gummi something from Der Franzose. But another time I'd use Evo Stick contact adhesive. Check out my thread 'What I am doing' Glue must be touch dry on both faces before pressing together. Be very careful you dont stretch the rubber as you go round the door as this will make tension across the inside corners like near the door catches. Check the footprint of the rubber profile and dont go outside this with the glue on the door or it will look horrible:o. Be very sure of the location of the rubber on the door by following an existing one. Will send you photos if you get stuck (literally ;)) as the leading edges of the front doors and the boot lid can be confusing! PM me if you need to:whistle:
Hi JonathanT, door seals and glue have just arrived from der franzose, hooray! You said you could send me some photos, would very much apprecite that, thanks. Minty

Well, I am pleased to report that the glue did mostly end up on Minty! Definitely a four handed job, but got there in the end. Der Franzose,kindly sent door seals that were more than long enough to do the job, needing to be trimmed of excess. Better too long than too short;) I have fitted new door seals to all four doors and they now close really nicely, just waiting for the glue to go off before I try opening them. Fingers crossed that it has worked this time. Looks promising. I still have the boot to do, but I can only take so many fumes in one day, boy that glue smells! When I get the doors open, I will post some photos. A BIG THANK YOU to all that helped, appreciated.

:clapping:It worked! Love the sound the doors make when you close them now, luxury, no drafts!WP_20160919_15_55_24_Pro.jpg WP_20160919_15_56_14_Pro.jpg WP_20160920_09_36_11_Pro.jpg WP_20160920_09_36_53_Pro.jpg WP_20160920_09_37_23_Pro.jpg Flush fitting, no bulging hinges, result!

Back