Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Dwell on this ....

JonathanT

Not normal for Norfolk
I managed to pick up a nice Dwell / tuning meter at a car boot sale. I gather the dwell angle on an R4 GTL should be about 56 deg . But at what RPM??? Meter works great but the rpm varies the displayed angle

I've always had trouble with dwell - set at 50 deg now with very small points gap (should be about 0.4mm). My points are 0.4mm at about 40 deg dwell, so I have experimented with dwell vs gap & found that more dwell (up to 50 deg) is good for running, but points need keeping clean or engine-starting becomes troublesome as the gap is then only 0.1-0.2mm. Could be my dizzy is knackered but the points are new (twice in two years just in case they were at fault!).

My new accu spark electronic ignition has solved the starting issues but still need to wrestle with the timing as can't quite get it right, the timing marks are confusing me

The ignition timing dictates where in the piston-travel that the petrol mix is ignited in the cylinder, measured in degrees of rotation of the crankshaft away from the top of the piston-travel (zero being 'Top Dead Centre', TDC). Ignition timing set too early and the engine can 'pink' (pre-ignition, timing too advanced); too late and performance is reduced (timing retarded - and sometimes 'backfiring' or 'popping' begins as the resultant unburnt petrol burns in the exhaust pipe). For a R4, some degrees before TDC are normal - mine is said to be 6 degrees, set at the factory.

Richnd, a strobe-light timing light with adjustable timing may solve your issue. The light timing-adjustment moves the light's flash-point - setting the strobe-light adjusting dial to 6 degrees and pointing it at the flywheel should show alignment between the TDC (zero degrees) mark (the gearbox/bell-housing mark nearest the middle of the engine on the 1108cc) and the single flywheel mark, if the engine timing is currently set at 6 degrees before top dead centre (BTDC).
Using this method means that the other (confusing) timing marks can be ignored, and just use the strobe-light adjustment dial to read the current timing advance. Timing marks on the bellhousing for the 1108cc engine seem to be in one degree steps - zero to eight degrees, though they are tricky to see - especially with fading eyesight resolution (hence my use of the adjustable timing strobe!).

Currently mine is running well at 11 degrees BTDC (which would be off the scale if I used the bellhousing markings) - far more than the 6 degrees 1984 'book' value.
More ignition advance gives the petrol more time to burn fully before being shoved out into the exhaust, but too much advance reduces efficiency as the early petrol burn works more to slow the piston's rise rather than to power it's fall. There will be a sweet spot!

Just timed it up to 8 degs btdc and idles smooth and revs smooth, I will have to test drive tomorrow as burnt my arm on the exhaust like a complete plum....

I could not read dwell angle when switched to accu spark.

With plugs i have set it to 54° with 0,4 gap.

Back