Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine noise

AlexF4

Hi all!

I just acquired a new (1984) f4. The engine (845) is making pretty loud noise (tapping or something) under load, especially with 4th gear. Without throttle the noise disappears? Engine temperatures doesn't seem to have huge effect. Engine however pulls pretty smoothly.

Could it have something to do with ignition advance? How about a leak in the exhaust manfold? Worn valves?

Car obviously needs some work but first I should get the car home. There still some hundred kilometers left!

Hello Alex F4, if your ignition timing was out, too retarded, then you'd probably get "pinking", but that's not a loud noise.

Check the hole in the inner wing where the exhaust passes through. Under load, the exhaust can vibrate against the sides of the hole. At first glance, you might think that everything is fine and that there is enough space, but the exhaust really moves a lot, perhaps even more than a centimeter if your engine mounts are worn.

Have a good trip home!

Mojobaby, thanks for the reply. I finally made it home!
Engine noise gradually got worse. It was apparent that the noise came from the loose exhaust manifold. Two manifold studs were stripped from the engine side so I needed to visit repair shop. Luckily I found great garage that fixed the problem.

Back