Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine size identification

YellowVan

Enthusiast
Just a quicky,

How do I tell what size the engine is on my R4's.
They are french and as far as I can tell the Carte Grise (french version of log book) does not obviously anyway show any engine sizes.

Thanks

What are your cars and can you find a number on the engine? I've a French TL and all the TLs from 1986 had 956cc engines. The engine code is 112C. The GTLs were given 1108cc engines.

You should be able to tell from the oval plate number begining 112.
1123 - 845cc, 112C - 956cc, 1128 - 1108cc this is assuming an oringinal engine

Best to look at the engine plate. These are the ones that came to the uk. Type 680 = 747cc, 800 = 845cc and 688 = 1100cc. The 956 plate in France should read 689.

There is also 839-... for 782cc, B1B for latest 845cc and 813-... for 5-bearing 852cc. But as the plates are so easily removed and replaced, and there are no external difference other than three or five bearing "family", there is always the possibility of engine size other than the plate says.

Cheers people,
My cars are an F4 and a van conversion done by the post office 'La Poste'.
The engine numbers read 688 so that makes them a 1.1.
Thanks for the info guys,
Yellowvan

I'm confused about mine!
1983 R4TL. (However, oval plate says 1984. First reg. end December 1983 according to Carte Grise).
French.
Oval plate also says 1123 43 100 2408179

Engine has a plate on it which says B 1BS 070
RG 3937
The 'G' is very lightly struck.

Vin numb er is VF1112302 E0070543

What do people think my engine size might be, please?

Hi Guys I recently bought a 4L I am new to the family and try to learn a few things. Can you please help me identify my engine year and capacity? the number is C113745. thannks much

Hi Georen
I don't know too much about engine numbers, but I'd like to know where you saw this number. Was it on the engine block or on one of the plates on the bulkhead?
I'm sure that someone will be able to help you

actually on my registaration document . Why do you ask is this not a typical 4L engine number ?? merci!!

In the engine compartment, just below your windscreen you will see the identification plates. Look at the following website:
http://www.geocities.ws/renault_4/oval_plate.html
Also look at :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Renault_engines

Your engine number is on a plate on the side of the engine below your distributor on a left hand drive
Sorry I don't know if its a typical number, maybe someone else can help.

I just know that if the number on the oval plate is 1123 then its a 845cc and if its 1128 then its a 1108cc

Best to look at the engine plate. These are the ones that came to the uk. Type 680 = 747cc, 800 = 845cc and 688 = 1100cc. The 956 plate in France should read 689.
Hi. My mate has a 688 engine and would like to know if it is ok to use the gear box that went with a 956cc engine with it. Cheers. Alan

They are both Cleon engines it will fit. But if your power ratios will match I don't know.

In the engine compartment, just below your windscreen you will see the identification plates. Look at the following website:
http://www.geocities.ws/renault_4/oval_plate.html
Also look at :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Renault_engines

Your engine number is on a plate on the side of the engine below your distributor on a left hand drive
Sorry I don't know if its a typical number, maybe someone else can help.

I just know that if the number on the oval plate is 1123 then its a 845cc and if its 1128 then its a 1108cc
hi great link.the wiki one helped now know ive the 1108cc engine,my oval plate has nothing like the 1123,or other numbers on it.thank you

I have just acquired a 4 GTL but the existing engine is very poorly. I have a replacement bare engine with the engine plate
B 14 21
B 00034085
can anyone help me identify it?
Thanks, William

Hi Everyone,
It turns out that the engine mentioned above is a 1397cc unit from a Volvo and that is the one I will go with for my R4 refurb. It needs one liner and piston and new big end and main shells. It seems that they won't be a problem. I extracted the camshaft bush with the intention of transferring it across with the 1108 engine's camshaft but the bush has suffered badly from runnung on the oil/water emulsion.
Can anyone point me to who might have one and the original part number>

Back