Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Exhaust pipe

Sutree

Enthusiast
Hi gentleman´s,

I recently discover that my 83 GTL is leaking some "water " from the exhaust pipe and even from the union between the exhaust pan and the pipe. I don´t know if i´m describe the right names and location, anyway i should be worry if water is coming out from the pipe? maybe are mixing water on the gear? I should be worry? this happened on a hot day, and small drive.

Thank you all for your time!

Hi there,

Nothing to worry about.
There is always some water vapor condensing in the exhaust. Especially after a short drive.
Once you start the car again the condensed water heates up and evaporates. When the drive you take is short the vapor condenses again and drips out of the exhaust.
It's better to take longer drives. So the water vapor comes out of the exhaust due to the heat in the exhaust.
The exhaust lives longer if you take longer drives, because the condensed water inside the exhaust makes it rust from the inside out.

Regards, Robert

As I'm not using Roffen the F4 in the winter-time I do as I always did with various motorcycles.Last trip before 1st. snowfall
I pour a Tiny amount of 2-stroke (or other)oil into the tank,smokewise it's barely noticeable,but it leaves just enough oil to
keep inside of tank and exhaust from rusting out.. just a small tip -Reid.

Harbourseal and Reid thank you for your tip´s and reply. I feel more calmer now. I was getting quite worry!

Thank´s again.

20160609_171345.jpg 20161025_081900.jpg 20170419_162006.jpg 20160609_171345.jpg
I occasionally put a small amount of Castrol R in the fuel tank, it has the same effect I guess Reid, and it smells great too.

I always have 5 litres of 2% petrol/putolene 2-stroke racing oil ready mixed in my shed (ready for the Apes)
After the tips in this post, I'll also be pouring it into my Renault 4s from now-on.
Brilliant, thanks lads,
N.20161025_081900.jpg20170419_162006.jpg

Back