Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Femsa distributor

The4seeker

Enthusiast
Hi,

I have 1984 R4 GTL 1.1 cc with a duff Femsa distributor.
Can I fit a Ducelier? it looks very similar
Is it just a straight swap ie no mods required
Many thanks

It will fit.
Just swap it for a Ducelier. Make sure you have the right curve.
The number on the distributer will tell you if its the right one. It should correspondent with the number in your Haynes. Tomorrow I can take a look at one of my gtl motors for the right number

dont know if you are fixed with a dist but if not I have a ducellier R5 dist in good condition for sale R268 I think.

dont know if you are fixed with a dist but if not I have a ducellier R5 dist in good condition for sale R268 I think.
I do not know what you mean by R268, but if it fits in an R4 I will definitely have it, does it have a working vacuum unit on it, and how much would you like for it?

R268 is the advance curve it will fit and may improve performance ! timing is 5 degrees btdc. it has a r5 cap on it but your r4 cap fits. guess 30 quid + post from here. ? let me know and will find postage cost. make is ducellier.

how to put contact-breaker heel on cam lobe?
I have experience with fitting and adjusting contact-breaker points on Ducellier dizzy.

how to put contact-breaker heel on cam lobe?
I have experience with fitting and adjusting contact-breaker points on Ducellier dizzy.
I've had a couple of GTLs that originally had Femsa distributors - I used to find it easier to take the distributor out of the car to change the points, as you can then turn the distributor by hand in either direction. Whichever way you do it - distributor out or in, it's a lot fiddlier than with a Ducellier (although if it's a Ducellier with externally adjustable points, you have to take it out of the car to change the points anyway).

1644411154671.jpeg
1644411192519.jpeg
1644419003963.jpeg

Last edited:
How to contact-breaker points are held fully open by one of the cam lobes...or adjusting the gap.
That's my question...

How to contact-breaker points are held fully open by one of the cam lobes...or adjusting the gap.
That's my question...
1644434733059.jpeg
As I said above, you can do it with the distributor in or out of the car (if you remove it, take a photo of the position of the rotor arm before you start).
If it's in the car, turn the engine in the usual way so that the moving part of the points (1) is as open as it can be. then adjust the fixed part (2) with a feeler gauge, again in the usual way.
It's easier to turn the distributor shaft and feel/see if the points are fully open - and therefore that (1) is on one of the cam lobes - if you remove the distributor from the car.

@Andy McGhee ok, thanks.
Conclusion.. cam lobe can't be centered visually as with D. I must check max gap between the two contacts.

Back