Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Finally took the courage...

Disheartening to have to remove the engine. But take heart from the fact you will sort it and it's a fabulous renovation. Great colour too!

Hello Azazello

Where did you get your key ring from? Can you send a link to website?

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
Bad news again...
Engine back in its bay, all ancillaries connected, managed to turn dizzy in the right position, started. .. it runs on 3 cylinders. Have to investigate why.
But worst of all, an awful oil leaking again from the rear of the engine. I changed the gasket on the distribution cover, this time using gasket cement, and torqued all the bolts, I am sure... maybe it is the time of the oil sump, I screwed the bolts a bit, but maybe too much...
I'd hate to take off engine ankther time, really disappointing.

Hi Azazello, I'm sure that you are not very happy at the moment.

what kind of gasket cement did you use on the cover.?

Also when you put on your sump gasket did you overlap it as per the below photo?

DSCF6628.JPG

I use hylomad blue, a non-setting compound adviced from Paul. It seems a good product, used on the gearbox too and not a drop leaked till now.
I don't remember how I put the sump gasket, followed instruction on haynes manual... I overlapped the two pieces, but can't remember how.
It seemed to me that it was working, but I screwed a bit thd bolts before putting on the engine again and maybe I deformed the oil pan, and now is leaking from the rear.wil try to screw another bit amd see what happens before taking off the engine again.
In the meanwhile the engine is not running properly... but don't know whats the problem, I do not have enough experience.

The running problem may be that valve clearance too tight or possibly a rocker arm jumped out of place
Maybe try and get it running better before removal
Can't remember how much you did to engine while it was out
Presume you have checked firing order on ht leads
Cork gaskets are tricky to get right as they should only need nipping up using 1/4 drive ratchet
Think it Is possible to fit wrong length bolts in wrong place and bolt won't pull up as to long
But it is extremely long time since I had ventoux engine in bits

Here a video of the engine running, if it can be of some utility.
Can't set precise timing until I am able to have it running out of choke.
At full throttle it misfires from exhaust. ..

Sorry to hear that you have so much trouble with engine......

Hope you will sort this errors easily.....

Unfortunately can not help you much as i do not have experience with timing, firing, dizzy.
Same as you, learning along the way

I've done what Paul suggests before and dropped a pushrod out whilst reassembling the engine!

Have you checked all your Valves gear. you called it distribution up there^^^^

I've done what Paul suggests before and dropped a pushrod out whilst reassembling the engine!

Have you checked all your Valves gear. you called it distribution up there^^^^

What I called distribution are the 2 sprockets, chain and tensioner. .. they seemed in good shape when I opened the cover, and I think that if I had put them the wrong way the problem should be really bigger.
I took out the small gear that drives the distributor in order to turn it 180 degrees and have the dizzy on the right side... if I put it not perfectly rotated could it be a problem?
Today I tried with strobe light and have seen that electricity was not comtinuosly given to spark plugs... sometimes it misses... changed cap and rotor with old ones but still same problem. Could be the coil? Or condenser?
Need to take off valve cover and check what Paul suggested...
See you tomorrow for breaking news!

Hi Azazello, listening to your engine die when you open the throttle. Its a classic case of retarded timing. To advance the timing you have to turn your distributor further clockwise.

Changing the position of the small gear won't cause a problem

The position of the "finger" on the cam lobe should be as per the following photo, just as the points are about to open.

The flywheel mark will be just before TDC and number 1 piston will be at the top of its stroke with no1 and No2 valves closed

IMGP1204.JPG

Finally, after 2 days of attempts, This evening at 21:30 I managed to have her running well.
At the end it was just a matter of breakers... the screw that fixes them turned out to be loosen and the distance was not precise as I regulated it.
So much trouble for such a stupid problem.

From my small and short experience.....usually big trouble is solved with small problem....
But is damn so hard to find what causes it.

Glad you have find it.

i'm happy that it all worked out for you. Of course it's all part of the learning curve and everyone who reads about your solution will remember it when they have the same problem.

Hi Azazello

Gald to hear engine running well but did you sort out the oil leak?

Hi Azazello

Gald to hear engine running well but did you sort out the oil leak?
Hope so!
Fitted new cork gasket for my oil pan, this time with a bit of gasket cement. The engine is again on the car but I had no time these days to finish mounting all the ancillaries and test it...
I am terrified to find something new to fix.
And I would like to see my work come to an end...

Back