Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fitting radio aerial in an F4.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Any advice please on fitment of a radio aerial in my F4 van.
Nothing appears to have been fitted before.
Does anyone have experience of these stick-on internal aerials I have seen on ebay.
Any thoughts, comments appreciated

I bought a normal 2-part telescopic antanna ,pulled it out,put some superglue between the 2 parts so it wouldnt sag then stuck it from
inside outerside of luggage-shelf and up inside the A-frame part all the way up the A-pillar. I get same signal reception inside there as
if placed on roof or elsewhere.Bonus is no drilling of holes etc and all hidden inside car. -Reid

I bought a normal 2-part telescopic antanna ,pulled it out,put some superglue between the 2 parts so it wouldnt sag then stuck it from
inside outerside of luggage-shelf and up inside the A-frame part all the way up the A-pillar. I get same signal reception inside there as
if placed on roof or elsewhere.Bonus is no drilling of holes etc and all hidden inside car. -Reid
Reid Thank you for that suggestion.

It depends on the the area you live in and how strong the radio signals are and also if you're installing a DAB (digital audio broadcasting) radio. To be sure to cover ALL options the radio should have an auxiliary input, to allow you to connect your smart phone to the radio, thus giving you internet radio on your car radio. The best position for the aerial on most vehicles is above the interior mirror, pointing back at 45 degrees. This gives minimal loss of signal from the aerial to the radio, relatively easy routing for the aerial lead, is above the height of the car's meal structure and if slanted at 45 degrees backwards will be minimally affected by the engine interference, if any. Also (odd one, this!) it can be quickly folded flat on the vehicle's roof for car washes! DAB aerials can also be fitted there, but they have to be fitted vertically. They are normally much shorter than ordinary car aerials anyway.

Hope this helps!

Hi guys-i was talking about FM/Am etc -Not DAB! I have no problems with hum/howling at all from ignition the way I described it.
If you install a DAB-receiver(radio) you best Not have a FM-antenna AT ALL,as you risk it picking up interference/cross-talk signal
from all those close by-Even if your FM antenna isn't connected! from their DAB-recivers connected to their "old" car-stereo (via
short range FM-transmitter) -Reid.

i have used areal that suposse to glue on glass from ebay for 2-3GBP.
i glue areal under dashboard, as i like to have windsheald clean from stickers.

It receives radio signal great.

Back