Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

For Sale - Renault 4 F4 - 1985 - White

Ray K

Enthusiast
FOR SALE
Reluctantly the time has come to sell my beloved Renault 4 F4 (Fourgon)
121,000 kms (75,000 miles)
845cc; 1985–C reg; MOT July 2018
Same owner for past 9 years.

HISTORY
Registered new in France on 20th November 1985, this Renault 4F4 Fourgonette has enjoyed the sunshine of the French Alps its entire life until being imported to the UK by the current owner in 2013.
I sourced this vehicle in 2009 whilst working in Grenoble on assignment. It was purchased from a private owner in March 2009 and has remained in my ownership ever since. Through its time with me, the van has always been garaged or kept under cover and has never been taken out in wet or inclement weather.
I repatriated the van along with myself and family in 2013, at which time the van was re-registered on a UK age related number plate. All previous French MOT’s (Controle Techniques) are present from my ownership as is each UK MOT since 2013. There are also some French invoices and maintenance receipts present. V5 is in my name and shows no previous recorded owners in the UK. The last French Controle Technique sticker is still present in the windscreen, as is the French main Renault dealer (Garage Mazoyer) sticker in the rear window.

The van comes with a UK MOT certificate until July 2018 (no advisories) and is ready for work or just showing off. It was a very difficult decision to part with this van but space limitations mean it is time to go to a new home.

EXTERIOR
This late F4 example is finished in its original plain white colour scheme. All panels are believed to be factory fitted original. Some light marking is evident throughout, as would be expected of a commercial vehicle of its age. At certain angles, the traces from transfers applied to the bodywork during its commercial life are still visible. (This F4 was a service vehicle for a Grenoble air conditioning company, Leon Froide, before entering private service).

Standard 13in steel wheels. Front tyres are recent Firestones, whilst the rear are shod with Michelin and show several millimetres of thread still remaining. All are retained with locking wheel nuts. Front brakes underwent an overhaul for the previous MOT and operate smoothly and assuredly.
The underside of this van is rust free, a direct benefit from its life in sunny France.

INTERIOR
The factory original equipment is in excellent order, however the driver’s seat is showing signs of wear, as would be expected after 33 years. All electrical equipment is in full working order. No radio has ever been fit to this van to allow the driver the pleasure of listening to the distinctive firing order of the 845cc engine.
The original factory fit floor mats are present, still with the original sound deadening material bonded to the floor beneath. The black faced instruments set within the period brown plastic facia function correctly along with all other controls.
The boot area houses a storage compartment behind the front seats, a rear side hinged door and top hinged quarter door, for ease of carrying ladders and long planks of wood etc. The interior body work is showing signs of regular use and has never been re-painted. There are two light rust spots on the interior of the wheel arches. These are not structural and have not deteriorated over the past 9 years of ownership.

ENGINE & TRANSMISSION
845cc engine. The engine bay displays all factory stickers, plates and tags identifying it as a 1986 model year, built in France. The four-speed manual gearbox is smooth and precise. Cooling system has been overhauled since I purchased the van, which consisted of new radiator, water pump, hoses, belts and switches. The electrical and fuel systems have also been refreshed with new fuel lift pump, distributor cap, HT leads, spark plugs, battery and carburettor jets. Engine oil and filter have just been replaced following the cold winter months.

This is an honest, practical, useable classic car which has some bumps and scratches (otherwise known as patina nowadays), but overall is in excellent condition for it's age and must be seen to be appreciated.

£3250 ovnoP1130449.JPG P1130463.JPG P1130453.JPG P1130425.JPG P1130425.JPG P1130423.JPG P1130433.JPG P1130442.JPG P1130468.JPG P1130429.JPG P1130435.JPG

Caution when viewing this van, holes in the chassis at the front, The light rust spots on the interior wheel arches are serious corrosion,
I just love a 200 mile round trip on the A1 with all the accidents and upturned caravans, the guy didnt even apologize and i get the impression he knew because he had been round it with an aerosol, shabby to say the least :mad:

I was going to view this van but was unable to due to family commitments.
Maybe just as well?
See it is now removed from ebay as well. Has it sold??

Not sure if it sold via Ebay, It was a nice looking van for sure but anyone that understands how R4's rot would best avoid it,

We had this van in our workshop last week. The new owner was concerned after reading the above and wanted a second opinion particularly as it was sold with a fresh MOT.

Having had it on the ramp, a couple of corrosion issues were noted but nothing life threatening and repairs will be addressed in the near future. We also noted that a lot of new parts had been fitted – brake cylinders, shoes & adjusters, ball joints, exhaust, radiator, water pump, battery etc. etc. all adding up to a tidy sum being spent in recent years.

A bit of tinkering under the bonnet got it running sweetly and the engine pulled well for an 845, the gear change was slick even though the lever bushings had disintegrated. The steering was light and the brakes worked well for a ‘drums all round’ set-up but maybe you wouldn't want them on your daily driver. The only knocks or rattles out on the road came from the back door latch which took a number of attempts to silence.

Several friends also took it for a drive simply because they’d never driven one before, all came back with BIG smiles including one of CAR Magazine’s editors who normally road tests more exotic stuff for a day job.

The new owner took a chance when making an offer on this van, but all things considered we reckon he did alright for the money invested.

I quite fancy one myself now but previous purchases are demanding too much attention, maybe next year.

Back