Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front chassis member

Tomcat

Enthusiast
I have removed the front bumper completely to examine the movement of the front chassis member from left to right looking at the front of the vehicle. I have judged that the right hand edge has moved to the rear by 20mm or so. Done by eye so could be more or less.
Couple of pictures attached to illustrate.
Also loosened the right hand side inner wing fixing to the chassis. One way to spend an hour and a half.
Luckily due to a soaking in Plusgas the bumper bolts were better but still had to dremel the left hand side bolt as the area around it had been damaged so it kept rotating!!

• DSC00217.JPG
    DSC00217.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00221.JPG
    DSC00221.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC00219.JPG
    DSC00219.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 3
Is it possible to just remove the front member or is it welded to another framework?

Think I have answered my own question now. 4 bolts I suspected are for front gearbox mounting!!

Last edited:
Yes it is welded to the front chassis sub member the so called Napoleons head and you will encounter some stiffner plates or bushing for the 4 bolts that hold the gearbox.

Would it be possible to straighten the front crossmember insitu do you think?
Comments appreciated. Thanks

The outside sections of the front member can be straightend/aligned/adjusted with some neath force (e.g. hammer) but the center section which is welded and supports the gearbox is part of the front beams and is structural.
I would never do alterations on the center section, just replace the lot for a mere £60 to £70 and a day of work, fun, greasy hand, welding, bolting and aligning.
That's well spend I'd say.
Regards, Joop

The outside sections of the front member can be straightend/aligned/adjusted with some neath force (e.g. hammer) but the center section which is welded and supports the gearbox is part of the front beams and is structural.
I would never do alterations on the center section, just replace the lot for a mere £60 to £70 and a day of work, fun, greasy hand, welding, bolting and aligning.
That's well spend I'd say.
Regards, Joop
Hi Joop
Your comments noted and appreciated. I was only thinking of straightening the outside section enough to get the inner wing to accept the front 2 wing fixings.
Regards Tom

Bump it with a hammer or a heavy bit of wood to get it in the right place. They are slender and don't take much bumping to straighten out. If you are moving it towards the front of the car there shouldn't be any problems with wrinkling, but push it a bit and check the height, then bump it down a bit if it is too high before the final bump forwards.

Scissors jack and a block of wood will sort it out and more controlled
Need to push beyond desired point as it will spring back with pressure released

Malcolm , Paul
Thanks for your advice.
Best regards
Tom

Good work and uhmmm a sunday doesn't hold me back working/restoring my R4 ;)

Back