Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front coil-over shocks for 4L -anyone?

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Hi gang! as Roffen the F4 now weighs in at a little more now he's got a 1397cc R5TS motor and Gtl
5-speed box ,I'm looking for a set of front shocks with coil-overs to conquer nose-diving in fast corners.
-Anyone have a tip for best(est) ones -and where to get them?
Dont think it's necessary to have adjustable coil-seats but Any/All tips taken into account! -Reid.

Flaw in the plan I can see is the top shocker bracket is not designed to take whole weight of car under stress loadings especially

Maybe others have strengthened or braced this for the raid cars etc

Flaw in the plan I can see is the top shocker bracket is not designed to take whole weight of car

I appreciate your comment but I think that a coil over would be fine.*#

After all it's not taking ALL the weight of the car as the torsion bar continues to do its job I presume. In my experience, uprated valving on the damper would be a good starting point. Coil overs will help as well.

As you imply, Paul, there will be a metal fatigue issues if extreme changes are made.
I reckon the chassis rail will be the weak spot in your climate.

*I had sport Bilsteins with coil overs on a Renault 5 in addition to the standard torsion bars. My intention was to control the body roll and dive. Dive was well controlled but roll was not. I have since learned that a rear ARB is a better way of controlling roll and turn-in.

#Im aware that the 5 is better for this as a monocoque construction. An R4 "should" be able to accept a higher load on the upper mount given its design. I've not had any issues with my "rough road" versions in Australia using the standard set-up even when the shockers are knackerd and the bump-stops split. Nor when it's all been good with new gas dampers.

I would say yes to an upgrade but within limits as Paul cautions.

The damper loads tend to be higher than spring loads so it wouldn't be a problem to add some soft springs to assist the torsion bars.

I wouldn't bother. The impression of dive is largely controlled by dampers. I don't know what adjustable dampers are available for the R4. I run standard DeCarbon on my Gordini and I'm fussy but don't have dive concerns. What dampers are you running and how old are they?

all good and relevant reservations far as I can see.I've got the gas-filled Allinquants which to me have always been the best.
They are likely the original fitted in -84 No leaks or rust but likely to have softened since new..
-I seem to remember in the real early times of the R3 and R4 when these were tested -in Africa(?) these cars were equipped
with coil-overs in front and rubber bottom-out-stops in the rear,so I thought it would be an easy and effective solution to my
nose-diving.(Id such shockers wer to be found. Doesn't Delphi make to order like Koni did in the past?
-As you say Malcolm-it might be it just feels worse than actually is.. -Reid.

DeCarbon was the make of the original coil-over shocks for the R5 Alpine Group 2 kit. The front ones will fit any R4, but, needless to say, they are very hard to source nowadays, and hair-risingly expensive.
I'm sure Record re-issued these, or at least a similar version, for 4L Trophy and other raid participants. These used to be available from Melun Retro passion, so worht asking them.

Hi there Angel! Thanx for the tip-I'll check it out with MRP, if avail I can pick them up when going to Thenay.. -Reid.

-Sent off an email to Delphi (they took over Decarbon as mentioned by Angel) and carry on production on a pre-order basis)
Hope they will look into it in the new year and get back to me with prices and specs... -Reid.

Back