Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front turn signals

chudson

Enthusiast
r4ts.JPG
Hey everybody, Im pretty close to finishing my R4 and got one problem on the way.
I've got this type of turn signals to mount my R4. The thing is that I found inside 21W/5W double filament bulbs. Is this two in one lamp with turn signal and position light ?
How should it be connected ? 5w flashes all the time and when the 21W turn signals are on it flashes brighter but never goes off ?

The metal body of the light needs to be earthed properly. Normally you would attach an earth wire to one of the mountings on the backplate to the bonnet, or if the bonnet is earthed then just make sire the screw mounting is clean and use one of those earthing washers. Without a good earth the indicator feed will earth through the sidelight feed.

I have newer wiring harness and there is exrea ground cable I could attach under the screw.
So it is two in one lamp and R4 with this kind of lamp has white front indicators bulbs ?

The indicators were white which might confuse other drivers these days. For my car I've fitted the single filament bulb version of those lights with an orange bulb and have mounted the sidelights in the headlamp.

I want it to stay oryginal but probably at MOT examination I will have to explain that the car was produced this way. It is very uncommon and I dont know if it is legal anymore to have indicator and position light together and white color . Thanks for help :)

PS: I also have the position lights on the wings (small round white/red ) . Were they mount as a third position light or they were only in later models with orange single filament front indicators ?

These wing lights were fitted to cars up to 1971 model year, and were never meant to flash with the indicators. They were parking lights, either the left or the right one could be switched on by a switch on the dash. Of course, now, it's very easy and more useful to convert them to indicators.

I dont need side indicators ( they are required for cars with tow bar only here in Poland ) . Do I understand correct : this lamps could be turned on manually left or right only ( which switch did that ? ) but while driving when You turned on all the position lights together ,with front road lights, they went on too ?

Back