Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL driveshaft removal & replacement- A Renault Engineers Tip

JonathanT

Not normal for Norfolk
Recently I managed to purchase a pair of NOS drive shafts complete ex Spanish Ebay. Arrived in timely fashion as my left driveshaft's knocking was getting worrying.

I had been reading and re-reading the Haynes manual suggesting how it should be attempted. It was to a novice looking a little daunting. Fortunately my GTL (and new driveshafts) didn't have Roll pins so that was a heap off my mind as a special tool is required to remove and replace them although a homemade drift could be constructed.

Haynes goes on to suggest the hub can be removed from the shaft by using a 3 leg puller/press bolted onto the wheel studs. As all the pullers I could find were intended for 4 or 5 stud wheels unless I spent several hundred pounds on a professional outfit. That go me thinking.. Maybe an old solid centre wheel with its hub cap thread could be used with a suitable bolt to push the shaft back through the hub?

However.... ENTER THE EXPERIENCE of a retired ex Renault Engineer. I met by chance while out for an evening and he spotted my R4. Thankfully I had the idea of giving him a ring... 'You don't need a puller. the shaft should just push out or tap out with a copper/wooden drift'. He was right! I didn't need a ball joint splitter... nor could I make one fit on either ... unbolting the three bearing fixings released the bottom swing arm. I also removed the top end too making the operation much more accessible. the new shaft went in easily and I had it all reassembled and working in an hour and a half flat.. Knocking gone. Drives great!

Maybe this will be of use to some.. But of course be safe and make sure its done correctly. This is only my suggestion and the wisdom of a Renault engineer third hand. Some of you with more experience may wish to add/comment. Have fun!

Jonathan

the haynes caught me out too, but like you, got told otherwise. Had to cut the brake lines (chassis is dead anyway) to get my hubs to move far enough to allow for the removal of the drive shafts.

I wish it was that easy and spacious when i was trying to get my golf's driveshaft back on.

My GTL has obviously been in the hands of someone who knew what they were doing. I suspect previous but one owner who I gather was a land Rover fan. There was 'Copper slip' assembly grease on all the mating faces of the suspension parts making the separation of the bearing supports from the wishbones much easier. I followed suit.

The removal of the top end was my idea. However I didn't recon on the assembly pushing downward quickly as the torsion bar was still doing its thing.
Next time I will place a support under the assembly to prevent this. I was also lucky on the gearbox front. I only lost about half an egg cup full of Hypoid - probably because being jacked up on that side tipped it away from the resultant shaft hole. Again another time I will be quicker off the mark by placing a drip tray beneath.

The special Renault tool which compresses the inner spring loaded joint should make the job easier by allowing one to remove the wheel end of the driveshaft without having to disconnect the lower ball joint.

The special Renault tool which compresses the inner spring loaded joint should make the job easier by allowing one to remove the wheel end of the driveshaft without having to disconnect the lower ball joint.

Hi Angel

I'm pretty certain there would not be enough travel toward the gearbox to get the spline end of the shaft out of the hub without dicinnecting the hub bottom bracket to get it out of the way.

Back