Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from Brighton!

Linda19

Enthusiast
Hi I'm a newbie to this forum!
Having had a red renault 4 GTL in my youth, I am looking to relive that a bit (!) and find another one to enjoy. I had my renault as a student but sadly saw it go off to the scrap yard as the chassis repair was too much for my budget at the time (if only I'd known!). It was a sad day and I did feel like I was taking my dog to be put down!
I've posted on the 'Renault 4 wanted' forum so maybe someone can help?
Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks

Hello Linda, welcome to the forum. You have indeed come to the right place. Cars do appear here from time to time in the for-sale section, but a look on eBay is not a bad idea too. Prices seem to be creeping up, but you should find something in your budget, especially as you are not too bothered about it being right or left hand drive, or which engine it has. As you obviously know, rust is the 4Ls enemy, so you know what to look for. The guys n girls on here are a friendly bunch, and always here to advise, and answer questions. Good luck, and please keep us posted in your quest for your Quatrelle.

Regards Brian.

Linda, With a budget of £3000-£3500 you will have no problem finding an R4 for that price. I bought mine last summer for a quarter of that so bargains can be found. I presume you know of Paul Cunningham of this parish, who has a workshop in Worthing so is pretty close to you. He usually knows of R4s which are likely to come up for sale. I'd also suggest you look through past adverts in the For Sale section and contact the owners to see if they are still available. Welcome.

Linda, With a budget of £3000-£3500 you will have no problem finding an R4 for that price. I bought mine last summer for a quarter of that so bargains can be found. I presume you know of Paul Cunningham of this parish, who has a workshop in Worthing so is pretty close to you. He usually knows of R4s which are likely to come up for sale. I'd also suggest you look through past adverts in the For Sale section and contact the owners to see if they are still available. Welcome.

Thanks so much for the reply. I wasn't aware of Paul Cunningham and Worthing is just along the road so that's really good to know. It does feel like a mine field finding a 'decent' car as they weren't exactly built to last in our rainy damp climate! My original one didn't last long at all!Thanks for you advice and I'll keep you posted how I get one with my search. Where did you locate yours?
Linda

image.jpg image.jpg I'm now a fully fledged member now being the proud (if slightly daunted!) owner of this little 1980 Renault 4 GTL!
I imaging I'll be making friends with Paul in Worthing and using you guys and your excellent expertise to answer my queries.
The first one I have actually is about keys- my car has only come with one key - is it possible to get spares?
Look forward to hearing from you and all your Renault 4 wisdom ( think I'm going to need it!)

Excellent! You'll find lots of really useful advice on here - most of the usual problems have been discussed, so a search will usually give you an answer. If not, there are some real experts who will help.

As for keys, I think that any key cutting shop would be able to make you a set of spare keys (I think I got a spare petrol cap key cut once).

Cheers!

Hi there Linda, welcome to Quatrelle ownership, and well done for bagging such a nice example of the marque, that looks like a well cared for car that's been looked after. We eagerly await reports of your exploits with your new love. :artist:

Linda, I got new keys cut at my local key cutting shop, they had all the blanks in stock for the doors and ignition as well do no need or order from anywhere- glad to see you have a nice R4 there :-)

Looks like a nice early GTL Linda. Enjoy driving it.
It is quite rare to have 1 key for all the locks. You are lucky.

Looking forward to meeting you and your car Linda
Promise I will try and make every one jealous of your new purchase and hopefully nothing too bad to report back with
Hi Paul
Hopefully we'll find a time to get her to your garage in Worthing. I do have a slight issue as having locked the doors as the car is outside my house, I now don't seem to be able to unlock any of them and get in to drive it!

Looks like a nice early GTL Linda. Enjoy driving it.
It is quite rare to have 1 key for all the locks. You are lucky.
Hi
I think it's a bit of a 'barn find' only one that's been looked after. Having said that, the one key is causing me problems as I have locked the car and can no longer unlock it! Don't want to force it as it's the ignition key too!
Oh dear!

The odd thing about the door locks on the GTL, and it may be the same on all 4Ls, is that the key goes in the lock on the right side door smooth side up to unlock it, and rough side up on left side door to unlock it. Just saying.:hug:

Trying going through the boot :-) if not I would suggest getting another key cut before anymore attempts. I replace the all the door lock barrels on mine, means a new door key that is separate from the ignition but they all work a lot better now..

When I bought my car, it came with no key at all. I knew that one key is supposed to fit the doors, petrol cap and ignition.

So I removed the door lock and took it to a key cutting guy and he made me one key which fits everything. I had a copy made of that of course, but I have no idea where I've put it. :(

Trying going through the boot :-) if not I would suggest getting another key cut before anymore attempts. I replace the all the door lock barrels on mine, means a new door key that is separate from the ignition but they all work a lot better now..

In my hast, I locked the boot too! I have since managed to open the passenger side so I now shunt along to the driver's side until I get it sorted!

The odd thing about the door locks on the GTL, and it may be the same on all 4Ls, is that the key goes in the lock on the right side door smooth side up to unlock it, and rough side up on left side door to unlock it. Just saying.:hug:

It's the same with mine!

Back