Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from Madagascar!

Michael Peters

20994234_10159088790235167_6319552152845344665_n.jpg

Hello all,

I'm a Canadian who just arrived in Antananarivo, Madagascar three weeks ago, working as a teacher. As soon as I arrived, I fell in love with all the janky old R4's that still litter the streets as taxis here, along with quite a number of old 2CVs.

Long story short, I couldn't help myself, and I found a decent one (hopefully!) to buy, and it is sitting in my garage waiting for my residency papers to come through to finalize the transfer of ownership so I can start buzzing around town.

I found this site looking for English-language advice for my purchase, and it has already been a big help. I'm going to need all I can get - most of the other "expats" advised me to avoid R4's - I was "a little fish swimming with sharks" among the local taxi drivers and mechanics who normally deal with them.

Zut alors! What have I done? :laughing:

Best,

Mike

waaauuuu. Madagascar. so egzotic.:D

I heard that Madagaskar is little heaven for R4 lovers.

nice speciment you managed to find. some more pictures would be really nice.

and welcome to forum.

:waving:

Nice TL you have there Michael. It looks better then all the Taxi's I have seen in a TV program.
Welcome to the forum.

Wow you've found a very nice TL and welcome!!

Thanks all!

I'll post some more pictures once I get it rolling around the streets! I suspect I'll be able to snap quite a few pics around this city that will be of interest around here - you can't turn around without bumping into an interesting Renault of some kind.

If you're on Facebook, check out this local enthusiasts group. Most of the chatter is in Malagasy, but there are lots of great pics of local Renaults in various different states. I managed enough French to get some good advice and local contacts.

Best,

Mike

After looking that facebook page i can say again loud and clear...... Madagascar is heaven for R4 lover.

I never seen so many R4 F4 models in passanger version (rear seats and big side windows)...Must get there once in lifetime.

Back