Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help retrofiting reversing light

Hi Sutree,
Actually yesterday i saw it is also sold by wook.pt. A bit cheaper and with no shipping costs within Portugal.
I guess Christmas will be earlier this year ;)
However, yours is a very good tip even for our friend in the UK or elsewhere, since Ascari has a large selection of books and also ships worldwide.

As your GTL didn't have reversing lights originally, there won't be any wire to connect the reversing light to yet.

Fuse 1 has to be connected to the reversing lightbulb via the gearboxswitch.
That means: from the gearboxswitch one wire has to be connected to fuse 1, the second wire must be connected to the reversing lightbulb. You'll have to install both wires yourself, so also that second wire from the gearboxswitch all the way back to the reversing lightbulb at the rear.

The 2 wires for the switch were there already, as you can see from the pictures I posted.
The problem was that I traced one wire to fuse 1 but couldn't trace the other one.
Yesterday I finally got it. The other wire from the switch is connected to ground on the rear lights.
What I've done was I cut the ground wire near the fusebox and added some more length to it so it can reach the back.
Tested everything out and it works :)
Now the new puzzle is to figure out how to get the headlining off. It's not easy to get the wire across without removing it.

So if you are going to do this yourself and if you also have a plug with 2 wires near the gearbox, you need to trace the wire going to fuse 1.
The other wire is grounded so cut it BEFORE it connects to the other ground.
You can see in the photo where i cut it - it's the small one. Leave the fatter wire alone.

• IMG_20170625_164417.jpg
    IMG_20170625_164417.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2
Just for added safety i connected the white wire i cut to the empty fuse and added a new wire to the same fuse so it can be ran to back of the R4.

• IMG_20170625_181147.jpg
    IMG_20170625_181147.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20170625_184639.jpg
    IMG_20170625_184639.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 2
This new cable will only be live when the switch on the gearbox is closed (reserve gear engaged). Finally success! Its a good thing i'm bald or i would be pulling my hair by now :)
I still don't understand why the wire is connected to ground from the factory. Perhaps it was intended for the rear fog light?! Or just for safety as it wasn't connected to anything?!
I'll post some picture when i figure out how to get the cable from the front to the back. Taking out the roof lining doesn't seem an easy task.

Hi Sutree,
Actually yesterday i saw it is also sold by wook.pt. A bit cheaper and with no shipping costs within Portugal.
I guess Christmas will be earlier this year ;)
However, yours is a very good tip even for our friend in the UK or elsewhere, since Ascari has a large selection of books and also ships worldwide.

Hi Ricardo
I also saw it in wook, but i had a bad experience in out of stock orders in wook recently... In any case its good to know it still available in a few worldwide websites.

Back