Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hi heat paint for exhausts etc..

reidalpine

Enthusiast
Gang! -anyone on here have any experience with High heat paint/enamel? I'm looking to
paint my Y-pipe (mild-steel) on the R5A-motor..
I've tried VHT-brand(Very High Temp)spray-paint earlier, but the paint seems to crack and
flake off in a very short time.
Years ago I spray-painted an old BBQ-grille (outside only) and it's still going strong.
-A bit faded but otherwise fine.Thinking if it stands the heat off of a grille it should stand
up on an exhaust too....
I can't remember the brand of that paint anymore. Any suggestions?
I've also tried those exhaust-wraps,but they accelererate rust and seems to make the
pipe itself rust and flake much worse under the the wrapping -Reid.

Hi Reid, I've sprayed my rocker cover with brake caliper gloss paint. I'm not quite sure how hot a rocker cover gets, but the first time I sprayed it using paint recommended for exhausts and it peeled off after a month.

The brake caliper paint has lasted 2 years

i've just checked on Amazon, and they have POR 15 brake caliper paint which is resistant to 500 degrees. It looks like a brush on paint

High temp spray works fine for engine and rockercover as mojo wrote.
For a manifold (Y, double Y or triple Y) I would advise Thermal Barrier Coating as the so called high temp paints won't work.
My R4 manifold is getting the Thermal Barrier Coating, no rust anymore and exhaust temp is reduced.
The complete exhaust of my R4 will be made from stainless steel 316.

I had mine professionally done (supposedly) I am dissapointed to see they are rusting already. I’m going to take it up with them

Hi guys,too hot here in Norwayland to be doing anything much....
I fear caliper-paint won't stand up the heat on the exhaust-pipes,on a rocker-cover I can see it work tho.
Does this Thermal Barrier Coating come in a spray-can or does it involve baking in an oven -like powder-
coating?
Anyone knows some hi-heat spray called RustOleum or Rust-Oleum? They have spray for BBQ-grilles etc.. -Reid.

Back