Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hotting up my F6

harbourseal

Renault R4 Lunatic
As an ongoing project I have been hotting up my F6 over the years.
To start with I put in a Renault 5 TL engine.
That is a 956cc engine with more 10 HP then the original F6 1108cc 34HP.

Last autumn I found an Abarth sport exhaust for a Renault 5TL and a Deauville spaghetti exhaust manifold that was made to fit a Renault 4.
IMG_1755.JPG

Last Tuesday I put the Abarth exhaust underneath the F6. The only adjustment I had te make, was a piece of flexible exhaust pipe to make it clear the upper suspension.
IMG_1706.JPG
IMG_1890.JPG IMG_1891.JPG IMG_1887.JPG IMG_1894.JPG
IMG_1886.JPG
with this exhaust Im marginally faster. And the engines reaction to the throttle is better.

Today I started to make a mock up for the spaghetti exhaust manifold.
I put an old engine that is waiting for rebuilding in an engine mount so I can work on a normal hight.
IMG_1896.JPG

And I put on the wrapped exhaust manifold.
Wrapping keeps the exhaust fumes hotter so they leave the manifold at a higher speed and gives more power.

And I put on the separate inlet manifold with my spare Solex SEIA carburetor.
IMG_1897.JPG

I also made some adjustments to the traverse that runs in front of the engine because the original is not clearing the manifold.

An update follows when I'm putting in the manifold

Today I picked up some Leather Clio Baccara seats to get some more comfort in the cabin. I put in the passenger seat to see how it fits. Its almost plug and play. I have to make an addition to the inner rail to make it slide further backwards
IMG_1932.JPG

i see that your silencer is under the front wing. How hot is that going to get? Would you think it necessary to wrap that as well..
I think that wrapping the manifold like you have done would also protect the carb from high temperatures.

Ican't see clearly from your photo but it looks like the tail pipes end under the driver's seat. it's a very short system! What are the benefits?

That's real comfort! The back looks a lot higher

The silencer under the front wing is just as hot as the old one but the clearance from the front wing is a little more.
And yes the wrapping also prevents the inlet manifold from heating up to much.

The tailpipe is 20 centimeters to short. So I have to make an extension.

The clio seats are a bit higher then the originals and give a lot of support the drivers seat even has an adjustable lumbar support.
If you make it to Thenay this summer you are welcome to try them Mojobaby

The chrome tail pieces are the finishing touch.

Unfortunately, no Thenay for me as we will be having overseas guests for the summer

Yesterday I made the extension to the tailpipe. the chrome double pipe sits neatly underneath the rear bumper now
And I managed to get both the leather seats in place. Ready to make a long trip to Thenay. I Only have to fit the Deauville manifold now and do a proper paint job.IMG_1956.JPGIMG_1996.JPG

I'm very sorry to let you know that I had to scrap the plan of putting in the Deauville spaghetti exhaust manifold.
I means major surgery to he engine bay to make it fit.
The person that sold it to me, said that it was plug and play.
So for now I stick to the Abarth exhaust. And maybe there comes a day that I will try again.

I tried to fit the manifold in today and removed the old manifold. Only to discover that I have to cut an other hole in the inner wing, re-shape the left engine mount to lift that side up for 3cm to make the steering column fit underneath the manifold and some other minor adjustments.

To much work for now.

The good thing that comes from this is that I discovered that the plastic heat insulator underneath the carburetor foot had cracked. Fortunately I had a new one at hand.

I build in the old manifold again and had to make an adjustment to the mixture. Made a small video that sits in Mojobaby's zenith 28IF problem solving topic.

What I still have to do is put the nice alloy wheels underneath and clean the outside of the car.

Clio baccara seats in my yellow peril
Had to use a short piece of box section to mount the inner runner on as the floor on clio is higher in centre
Very comfortable too FB_IMG_1491598221895.jpg

I need that exhaust manifold in my life!

looking good, a wolf in sheeps clothing as they say :laughing: a lot of exhaust to fit in there but i'm sure there's a way :).

I tried to fit the manifold in today and removed the old manifold. Only to discover that I have to cut an other hole in the inner wing, re-shape the left engine mount to lift that side up for 3cm to make the steering column fit underneath the manifold and some other minor adjustments.

To much work for now.

Looking at your issue is only the steering column, maybe it is plug and play for a RHD car? My GTL is being rebuilt and plan to bolt on a set of CBR400RR carbs for a bit of power and growl but manifolds are looking a bit tricky, but seeing that manifold you have I'm now happy it can be done! Got any specs or details on it please?

Hi, I'm going to give it another try to fit this manifold. Haven't thrown the glove in the ring yet.
Something is bubbling in my mind.

The only specs I have are. Made by Deauville in the 70. The inlet manifold comes from a Renault 12 I'm told. It does take all the 32mm carbs that are there.
If I don't succeed the whole lot is for sale.

Bubble away Habourseal! Don't give up

Back