How to fit spot lights to the front of a R4- With Photos- Solved

1. Sprackers

Sprackers Enthusiast

Hi

Has anywone or oes anywone know the best way to fix two rally spotlights to the front of a renault 4?

Cheers

Sprackers

2. harbourseal

harbourseal Renault R4 Lunatic

I made a steel bracket through the grill. These are riveted onto the horizontal lip behind the grill.

The two wide beam lights sit in front of the grill. 1015C5E0-6F40-49E2-A3F0-C61835D41FD7.jpeg

Lobster, JdeW and jjad like this.
  3. Sprackers

Sprackers Enthusiast

Ive been working on something similar. Ive made two bits of steel wich sit behind the grill on the lip and then screw the lights through the grillinto the lights.
    Between the bits of steel and the grill, on thi inside I made two bits of wood theat fill the gap between the steel and the back of the grill so I dont pull the grill back and snap it.

Will send photos

4. Sprackers

Sprackers Enthusiast

There was no option but I had to affix the big spotlights to the front of the grill. I did initiallly put them on the bumper but I couldnt open the bonnet.

Problem was the grill isnt designed or strong enough to hold two big heavy spotlights.

This was my solution

Photo 1:

This is the view of the back side of the grill from the inside of the car.

Notice around the grill is a lip of metal. this is the key to holding the sportlights.

Photo 2.

I made two Shims of wood that fit inside the lip and are the thickness the same as the lip of metal top an bottom. these are just slotted in

Photo 3.

An inch wide bit of steel that is long enough to sit on the lip of the metal surround and over the wooden shims.

Now from the front of the grill mark where you want the hole of the nut to go through that will hold the spotlights.

My hole was the very bottom hole in the grill.

I then remove both shim and metal plate and drilled a hole in both

Then put them back and put the spotlight holding bolt throught the shim and the metal plate and put a nut on the back.

Photo 4.

Nut in place Spotlights secure and most importantly of all, not putting any pressure on the grill.

Happy rallying

Sprackers

ps. I have lowered the price of my Renault 5 Campus for sale to £595

• IMG_6437[1].JPG
    • IMG_6439[1].JPG
    • IMG_6441[1].JPG
    • IMG_6443[1].JPG
    Lobster likes this.
  5. Sprackers

Sprackers Enthusiast

Only a month to go before Chrisitne an I set off for Austria and She has her snow tyres and rally lights in place. I think I ve thought of everything but if anyone has anything I might have forgotten about driving in snow an ice an cold weather please let me know.

• IMG_6447[1].JPG
  6. petak

petak Enthusiast

One silly question!
    Did you check cooling fluid freezing point?

If it is somewhere between -10°C and 0°C I would change it for more harder temperatures.
    -25°C seem reasonable for route you are planing to do!

JdeW likes this.
  7. Sprackers

Sprackers Enthusiast

There are no silly questions here......

I didnt thnk of that . Brilliant. I never new there was a harder lowere temperatire anti freeze. I was thining Vodka:laughing:

8. harbourseal

harbourseal Renault R4 Lunatic

Vodka is good as a presevative against freezing and decay.:D

petak and JdeW like this.
  9. petak

petak Enthusiast

pure antifreeze should be -40°C to -45°C and you dilute it with distilled water to needed/wanted temp.

-40°C can be bad for old cars. It can effect radiator and water pump to start leaking, so -25°C is something you should looking for

P.S. I like your licence plate. :D

Advertisements
Clementine's Garage
Clementine's
Renault 4 Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles