Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ignition Problems with Ducellier distributor

R suffolk

I have just removed the distributor from the engine to replace the points. After fitting the new ones and properly timing the engine, it will not start. With the ignition on and the points closed, when they are manually opened there should be a small spark but there is not. Also checking with a voltmeter, there is 12v all through the points system even when the points are open. I must have a short somwhere. Any thoughts?
Cheers

If it was all working properly before and it isn't now then you need to go back over what you have done. From your description of there being permanently 12 volts it sounds like there is a short somewhere. I would suggest you remove the distributor and put the OLD points back in and re-fit them. If the car runs as it did then you have a starting point from which to investigate things. It's possible the points have been badly manufactured and are somehow shorting out to the frame of the distributor so that when they open they don't break the circuit.

Re-fit the old ones first, then post again & we'll go from there. If you've thrown the old ones away I'll suggest plan B....

Notice you location as sussex if your not far from worthing and get stuck now or later on something else let me
If you can post pics we may spot your problem

A possible source of shorting is the electrical and mechanical attachment of the points to the side of the distributor where the square headed bolt passes through the tail of the point attachment and a stepped hollow insulated washer. As the washer degrades with time it may not insulate the points from the distributor body especially if you replace the points and tighten it all up again firmly. If this is the case you need more fibre washers or to turn up a new washer from Delrin or Nylon. I had to do this a few weeks ago. Another possibility is the new points even though gapped correctly don't initially quite seat against each other and touching them with a screwdriver to see if they spark is worth doing. Sometimes the whole thing just needs a little help waking up if you have messed with it.

Notice you location as sussex if your not far from worthing and get stuck now or later on something else let me
If you can post pics we may spot your problem
Thanks for your reply. After thinking about the problem, I believe that the wire from the coil, "hot", is not insulated from the dizzy body which it should be. I do not know how this arose, but I think I replaced everthing exactly as it came it came off. The car is in Dover, so I can't do much until I next get down there. Should there be some insulated washers between the hot wire and the body, or have I wrongly assembled the whole device?
It would be interesting to meet up sometime when you are free because as you say you have a number oif parts which I may be interested in. You told me that your lockup is near Morrisons in Worthing and I live in Shoreham
Thanks a lot

The "hot" wire should pass through the body contained in a small rubber or plastic grommet or clip, which insulates it against shorting. Inside the distributor the moving part of the points should be electrically insulated from the distributor body. If things become desparate I have an "A" frame and drive a 2 litre Citroen, which could easily move your 4 if needed.

Back