Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Importing a R4

Liam4R4SPARES

Enthusiast
Hi, what is involved in regards to paperwork, import tax and inspection if i was to consider bringing back a R4 from Europe ? Is it fairly straightforward ? or will i be bogged down with a all this EU red tape .

As an R4 is fairly old, i think all you would need to do is get it MOT'd when you get back here then take your MOT to your local DVLA office and after a fee they will issue you a UK registration number. With newer cars it is different but I think importing a R4 would be straightforward.

You are already in Europe, as far as import taxes and E.U. compliance is concerned. The only changes needed would be for adapting left-hand drive headlamps.
If, however, you are planning to import a vehicle from Croatia or Serbia, this is a matter of which somebody else would be qualified.
I'm on holiday on the Dalmatian coast of Croatia and have seen some clean carriages of which I plan to buy one for export to Germany. This could be a can of worms, since the vehicles must be taxed accordingly and a full inspection will have to be performed. Buying a similar vehicle from Slovenia would circumvent most of the E.U. paperwork and all of the import taxes. However, such a vehicle should carry a higher market price, if the seller was to be aware of the advantages of a buyer choosing his/her vehicle over an identicle vehicle sold in Croatia.
Does anybody know about going through such a procedure?

Good work onfinding such an old thread!

Anyway, for anyone interested in importing an R4 from Europe, theres a guy on Autosh1te just brought a R14 back from France and got it legal which makes interesting reading - story here

Importing vehicles into the UK is relatively straightforward, or was the last time I did it - the authorities work on the basis of if you can get an MOT on it, you can import it.
Now we tend to buy secondhand cars in the UK, where they are ridiculously cheap by comparison with France, but importing them to here is more complicated - basically if its never been sold here you have severe problems attempting to register it - as ex pat buyers of grey imports from Japan have found to their cost and bafflement.
Whether Germany operates similar rules I don't know, but you may get some ideas / help from one of the AngloInfo sites in Germany.

I took some photos of r4s in my area

I'm on holiday on the Island of Rab in Croatia. There are still plenty of Slovenian made R4s and here are some of the poorer examples.
I left a note (A) on the windscreen of the red one at the top.
On most of these, there is only surface corrosion similar to how R4s in southern France decay. In other words, none of the typical rot you would find in northern climates:

• R4.JPG
    R4.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 162
  • R4a.JPG
    R4a.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 167
  • R4b.JPG
    R4b.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 162
  • R4c.JPG
    R4c.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 163
  • R4d.JPG
    R4d.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 159
  • R4e.JPG
    R4e.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 160
  • r4f.JPG
    r4f.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 165
  • r4g.JPG
    r4g.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 417
  • r4h.JPG
    r4h.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 160
  • r4i.JPG
    r4i.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 161
Here is one of the best I've seen

Nearly in showroom condition. Unfortunately, were my batteries running out, before I could take better photos:

• R42.JPG
    R42.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 374
  • R42a.JPG
    R42a.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 375
Since Croatia has joined the E.U., this year, importing and exporting should be easy. However, the value of these vehicles should be much higher, because of this

Back