Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Indicator problem

charlesa

Enthusiast
Good afternoon all.
Please could I ask advice re my driver's side front indicator (RHD) ?
It was behaving fine until recently when it suddenly started sounding as if it was indicating at twice the usual speed. I went and checked and the light wasn't indicating at all (the passenger side one is fine as are the rear ones).
Now please bear in mind that I am useless at car mechanics but I bought a new 21w 12v pear shaped pin type bulb, as recommended in the hand book.
Still not working. Irritatingly, my wife took it in to be MOT'd last week after I had told them that the indicator wasn't working and that I wanted them to fix the light and then MOT it.
Well it came back with a full MOT, no advisories ,but indicator still not working which was a bit odd/incompetent !
I haven't had a chance to speak to them yet but any thoughts please ?
It is a 1985 4 GTL RHD.
Many thanks
Charles

Good afternoon all.
Please could I ask advice re my driver's side front indicator (RHD) ?
It was behaving fine until recently when it suddenly started sounding as if it was indicating at twice the usual speed. I went and checked and the light wasn't indicating at all (the passenger side one is fine as are the rear ones).
Now please bear in mind that I am useless at car mechanics but I bought a new 21w 12v pear shaped pin type bulb, as recommended in the hand book.
Still not working. Irritatingly, my wife took it in to be MOT'd last week after I had told them that the indicator wasn't working and that I wanted them to fix the light and then MOT it.
Well it came back with a full MOT, no advisories ,but indicator still not working which was a bit odd/incompetent !
I haven't had a chance to speak to them yet but any thoughts please ?
It is a 1985 4 GTL RHD.
Many thanks
Charles
Most likely an earth problem or a dirty connection.

You can try folowing.
Take of indicator lence.
Engage indicator and try to press bulb into indicator housing.
If bulb start to light then problem is in small metal thing in indicator housing that is touching bulb.
You can try to pull it out little bit and return bulb.
Bulb/indicator should work.
That metal thing is making contact with bulb like spring and thru time it lose elasticity.

Good luck with it.

You can try folowing.
Take of indicator lence.
Engage indicator and try to press bulb into indicator housing.
If bulb start to light then problem is in small metal thing in indicator housing that is touching bulb.
You can try to pull it out little bit and return bulb.
Bulb/indicator should work.
That metal thing is making contact with bulb like spring and thru time it lose elasticity.

Good luck with it.

As above plus check that all the metal parts that make contact with the bulbs, as well as the bulbs themselves are all nice and shiny. Genle use of a file helps, as does a little WD 40 sprayed judicially on the contacts.

Thank you gents, I am not with the car at the moment but will try this as soon as I am and will let you know result.
Best wishes
Charles

Charles, WD40 and/or Duck tape solves most problems, and now you have a spare bulb too ;-)

Paul, whenever I am involved with anything remotely practical , my entire family and indeed the entire village refer to it not as DIY but BIY ( Bu**er It Up yourself !!).
so let's see how long said indicator carries on working !!!
Best wishes
Charles

Back