Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Know this car?

Doesn't sound good if someone selling you a car is saying that it will break down! Besides, that's not exactly true. Our GTL has only broken down once in 12 years (faulty break limiter). I don't think you are too far from Paul Cunningham, so you have an expert to service your R4 regularly when you do get one.

Don't give up!

Hello Linda

Don't be put off no matter what anyone says. The dealer sounds like an idiot anyway.
When you buy a classic car it's always going to be a choice of the heart rather than the head, the R4 is simple to maintain and any mechanic worth his salt shouldn't have a problem with it. It's not a classic Ferrari or Maserati you are buying, besides you will still
be paying £65 an hour whatever car you buy.
I know there aren't too many R4' s in the UK but if you are not too bothered about left hand drive there are plenty rust free examples here in Portugal, I know of 3 local to me for sale, and there are loads more in the Portuguese classifieds. I also know a few people who may be persuaded to sell!
The main reason why there are so many on the roads here is because they go on forever, lack of salt on the roads and favourable weather conditions help too.
So if you decide to venture abroad I'll be able to point you in the right direction, also there is a forum member here called Neil who goes to Portugal quite often and brings them for sale so it might be worth contacting him.
Good luck

Hi Linda,
The Renault 4 is an easy to maintain car. Even a Dutch nurse (Myself) can do it and learn it.

Maybe it's wise to wait a bit for a good one to come along.
To be honest I'd wait for a GTL or a later TL with a cleon engine. Parts for these are readily available.
Good luck.

Thanks for all your kind words of encouragement. I love the Renault 4 and hopefully if I'm patient I'll get hold of a good one. It's great knowing this forum is here with some great enthusiastic people with great advice.
Thanks all
Linda

I picked up my Renault 4 1989 savane TL and being a late French import is solid and I've managed the easy mechanics so far with bits all located on the internet.. Worth waiting for the right one

Whoa steady on there, I never said they WILL break down, did I? But our 2CVs and Renault 4s have always been our No2 car, a hobby car when being off the road for a day or two won't affect the family transport. If the owner has no mechanical ability and simply needs the car each and every day, reliably, then a 30 or 40 year old car might not be the best choice. If I had had to pay a mechanic for all the work I'd put into these cars, it would have cost a packet over the years. Calling people an idiot isn't at all helpful, is it? I'd rather people go into things with their eyes open than get her fingers burnt. Just saying.

Paul's right. If you're planning to use it as your daily transport you might have a day or so every now and then when you'll end up on the bus, but then again in the 1970s everyone had this problem, as all cars were simply not as reliable as they are today! My "normal" car is a 2 litre Citroën Xantia, which was off the road last month, owing to a drive shaft needing replacement. My "hobby" car, a Daf 33, stood in for my work runs for a week, never missing a beat or letting me down, so sometimes the reliability question is on the other foot.......

Paul's right. If you're planning to use it as your daily transport you might have a day or so every now and then when you'll end up on the bus, but then again in the 1970s everyone had this problem, as all cars were simply not as reliable as they are today! My "normal" car is a 2 litre Citroën Xantia, which was off the road last month, owing to a drive shaft needing replacement. My "hobby" car, a Daf 33, stood in for my work runs for a week, never missing a beat or letting me down, so sometimes the reliability question is on the other foot.......

We do have another family car (citroen Berlingo- I obviously like the 'boxy' look!) and I work in the town I live in so it would be a second car to pootle about in and enjoy around the doors with no pressure for it to 'behave' 24/7. I remember the days when my parents would go out to work and rush back in in a panic as the car wouldn't start in the cold/wet/frost. We just take it for granted now that we turn the key (or press the button) and they work!

Sorry Paul but just to be clear the idiot remark wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the dealer who told Linda it would break down.
My R4 is a daily driver in all weather's as is my series 3 land rover. The reason why you see so many R4' s here is because for many they are their daily driver's.
As I mentioned before they are simple cars with ready available mechanical parts so no problem there, I've driven and owned countless classics over the years and the reason why I have my 4 is because they are basically a cheap car to run with less moving parts than a modern car so less to go wrong.
The R4 and series 3 aren't my hobby they are part of my daily life, these cars like to be driven everyday, they are tougher than you think, unlike a mk 2 Jag or a,Citroen DS, not to be driven everyday due to expense!
So no attack on you Paul.

Bit late to the discussion bit as I seem to have been mentioned and I have discovered your message on my profile now
Not like Facebook where mention someone's name and notification comes direct
Agree with all of the above feel free to call me direct to discuss further on 07973423795
Ps I only charge £30 per hour probably why I am not rich yet

Bit late to the discussion bit as I seem to have been mentioned and I have discovered your message on my profile now
Not like Facebook where mention someone's name and notification comes direct
Agree with all of the above feel free to call me direct to discuss further on 07973423795
Ps I only charge £30 per hour probably why I am not rich yet

Hi Paul
Thanks so much for posting the message. It would be really helpful to have a chat. When would be a good time for me to give you a call?
Thanks
Linda

Sorry Paul but just to be clear the idiot remark wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the dealer who told Linda it would break down.
My R4 is a daily driver in all weather's as is my series 3 land rover. The reason why you see so many R4' s here is because for many they are their daily driver's.
As I mentioned before they are simple cars with ready available mechanical parts so no problem there, I've driven and owned countless classics over the years and the reason why I have my 4 is because they are basically a cheap car to run with less moving parts than a modern car so less to go wrong.
The R4 and series 3 aren't my hobby they are part of my daily life, these cars like to be driven everyday, they are tougher than you think, unlike a mk 2 Jag or a,Citroen DS, not to be driven everyday due to expense!
So no attack on you Paul.
Ok, cheers.

Back