Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Lowering suspension

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Forgive my ignorance but how do you lower the suspension on a R4 please?
All comments welcome.

You need to turn torsion bars. front and rear.

Very briefly, you need to take torsion bars from lower arms and rear brackets, set up height that you want to achieve and put torsion bars back in place. And be prepared to repeat process few times (even more than few) until you reach height you want

Angel once opened topic where he explained how to set up height of the car at front.

At rear you need to take of torsion bars, set up height of rear arms that you want, and then simply turn torsion bars until you can put them back in splines.
And again be prepared to repeat process until you are satisfied with height.

In whole process biggest issue could be removing torsion bars as they often get stuck from years of use, rain, snow and salt on the roads.

You need to turn torsion bars. front and rear.

Very briefly, you need to take torsion bars from lower arms and rear brackets, set up height that you want to achieve and put torsion bars back in place. And be prepared to repeat process few times (even more than few) until you reach height you want

Angel once opened topic where he explained how to set up height of the car at front.

At rear you need to take of torsion bars, set up height of rear arms that you want, and then simply turn torsion bars until you can put them back in splines.
And again be prepared to repeat process until you are satisfied with height.

In whole process biggest issue could be removing torsion bars as they often get stuck from years of use, rain, snow and salt on the roads.
Thank you for that Petak.
Went to look at an F6 yesterday that had lowered suspension. Wondered how it had been achieved.

• R4F6.2.jpg
    R4F6.2.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 6
Keep precautions in mind as all torsion bars are loaded and store a lot of energy!
The rear is the "easiest" to adjust, the front is trickier as you need "The Tool".
The whole process is time consuming and also keep in mind that when lowering the car in doesn't change the roll of the car while taking corners at a higher speed so you'll need the stiffen the front and rear suspension as well e.g. with thicker torsionbars, thicker stabilisation bars (front and rear) etc.
As for my GTL project I've an F6 rear suspension with stabilisation bar, a thicker stabilisation bar at the front and De Carbon Performance shock absorbers.

Last edited:
Hi Tom, as you can see from JdeWs comments, it is quite a job to adjust the ride height on the 4. The front can be adjusted by dismantling the suspension, so you don't need the special tool for releasing the tension. As petak said, the rear can be problematic as the bars can seize in their splined holes. Also if you go too low the ride becomes harsh, and you loose that beautiful soft ride that is part of the charm of the 4. Your lovely van looks good as is.

Regards Brian

Hi Tom, as you can see from JdeWs comments, it is quite a job to adjust the ride height on the 4. The front can be adjusted by dismantling the suspension, so you don't need the special tool for releasing the tension. As petak said, the rear can be problematic as the bars can seize in their splined holes. Also if you go too low the ride becomes harsh, and you loose that beautiful soft ride that is part of the charm of the 4. Your lovely van looks good as is.

Regards Brian
Hello Brian
Went to look at the F6 yesterday with a view to purchasing it.
It has already been lowered and I felt there was rubbing on the front when we went for a test drive.
If I get it may well consider going back to standard ride height.
Regards
Tom

Ah now I see Tom. I should have read your previous post. Yes it does look a bit low, but otherwise it's looking good, yellow suits the 4. As the suspension has obviously been disturbed to lower it, it shouldn't be too difficult to reverse the situation, just time consuming. But as like me you seem to have a little time on your hands you can nibble away at it can't you.
Regards Brian

Merlin motor sport sell adjustable shocks would these be enough to stiffen the ride alone?

Back