Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

More parts for the cold months

Niels Svane

Renault 4TL '83, 1B1 845cc engine, Ducellier diz
After a visit to my parts dealer I now have everything for the little 4 except a towbar (it was burried in a corner of his warehouse):
4x michelin tires
2x driveshafts (actually for my model - those attached are for pre 1966 models....)
2x front indicators
4x aluminium inner wings
1x tube for the airfilter housing to exhaust setting (winter setting for the intake)
1x small plastic thingy for the vent from the valve cover
1x thick cable to go from battery to frame

And after looking at a french produced banana-manifold (its the danish word for those :p), sports-muffler, and 45 mm side-pipe I'm thinking about freshing up the little 845cc just for fun. My parts-dealer has worked on R4's the last 40 years and told me that 40 to 45 hp is obtainable with this engine. As I am aware it already has bigger valves and the 32mm carb with acc. pump, as the late 845's apparently had :fighting: A bit more torque and ability to keep up a 100-105 km/h is my goal.

dcRJZrW.jpg
[/IMG]
dcRJZrW.jpg

PdY1al4.jpg

It is (luckily) not my own cat. Its a mean stupid cat (my moms). My own 7.2 kg orange workshop cat is back home ;)
Now me and a neighbor at my moms (with a lift) got the driveshafts exchanged, and at the left one actually broke while I drove it on the lift... SO the end point is that is was the proper time to change it - to the ones which actually should be on the car ;) With totally enclosed joints.

zgUrXlE.jpg

gIQ4jBh.jpg

Nice pile of bits! I see you got Michelin 145/80 x 13 tyres- are they still listed by Michelin in their catalogue there? I can't seem to find them in their online one.

You were lucky with the driveshaft not breaking at speed, it could have done some nasty damage!

Yes I know. Luckily the bad one failed slowly and noticeably over the last trip. So the last miles were driven at very low speeds.

Ha ha Spot the cat! Took me ages to see it so I was wondering what you were all on about:doh:

Are those drive shafts good quality ? I'd quite like to get some spares in case I need them . I fitted a pair of old stock repro ones. They seem ok but rubbers are not too secure

Haha, yeah it's a sneaky little bastard that one :scared:
The driveshafts seems to be a very good heavy duty quality, with everything sealed in either metal casing or thick rubber. Not like the pre '66 ones that were attached. I hadn't even noticed the open joints on those, and therefore not thought about greasing them.

I was a bit shocked when I saw the price though; 1000 dkr (without 25% VAT) pr. unit. But I got a discount on all parts so I cant complain.
Thats 233 pounds for two shafts (186 for me).

Exchanging them has transformed the car. It now feels brand new to drive :) The steering feels a bit more numb now, a bit like power steering at higher speeds.

My own garage cat (the 7-8 kg one):
GUvM7G5.jpg

Qc3Rps7.jpg

Ha - I can see that cat !
Yes good driveshafts make s big difference especially if there has been knocking

Back