Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

My tiny 4CV

The previous owner just emailed his restoration photos, I think from the 80's or so.

He also said he has a spare engine and gearbox I can have if I pick them up - what a nice guy.

Your fuel system must have been as bad as it could get. Amazing.

On with the strip down of the rear drive train.

It seems to easy when it is out of the car like this. Took off the top bolts of the springs and mades notes to change all the rubbers out. Releasing these of course sinks the engine as it was resting on the driveshafts, so a repositioning of the jack stands was necessary.

So top cross member off and on with the driveshafts - I needed to check the spline count and it is 10 on the outside and 10 on the inside.

Next was the separation of the gearbox. I first emptied the oil from the diff and the main part of the gearbox - I was lucky to get ½ litre out of both. Unbolted all the bolts and wiggled the transmission off. So tiny
smiley.png

The main driveshaft is also 10 splined

And here is the little clutch -

Untitled by Tripyrenees, on Flickr

the clutch plate looks quite good.

The fan looks quite big for the engine, are you aware of any overheating problems that 4CV's might have? Having an engine at the back can give issues with ventilation. I've seen some wrecks for sale and very often the back bonnet is discoloured and rusty, probably from overheating.

The fan looks quite big for the engine, are you aware of any overheating problems that 4CV's might have? Having an engine at the back can give issues with ventilation. I've seen some wrecks for sale and very often the back bonnet is discoloured and rusty, probably from overheating.
I have never had an overheating problem with any 4CV I have owned (now on my 4th) I always recore the radiator when the car is being restored and if the car is well maintained you should not have problems.
Remember in the day over 1 millon of these cars were in use all over the world many in very hot climates.
I have also owned a Dauphine, R8s and an 8 gordini again with no overheating with rear engine application.

The size of the vents on the side, I would say, are just as big as some front engined cars. I think the fan just looks big as I painted it yellow.

This car is probably the easiest car I have ever worked on, even easier than a beetle I would say. I can't wait to get the new engine and gearbox and get it back on the road. Wheels are off to the powder coaters this week.

As you can see my post on the ebay 4cv I do like these cars. I had hoped one was on my doorstep to have a good look at.
However it was not to be.
Maybe at my age I should have more sense. Have more than enough on my plate as it is.

Well if you see one over here and you want me to look at it for you, let me know. I am coming over to the UK next week with my minibus to collect the new engine and gearbox, could have attached the car trailer :)

But I know what you mean - I need to get rid of 3 cars as soon as I can as I can't move in my drive anymore. buying cars in France can be a cheap addiction.

Thank you for the offer but sense should prevail at the moment!!

Just got back from the UK and meeting up with Dave Wheeler from the Renault CCC. I now have a van full of parts to create my little Gordini 4CV. Thanks Dave, and thanks also for the original Renault workshop manual, read it cover to cover on the ferry on the way home (in English).

Now the project really starts, so will post of the progress, more slowly now as my work season starts.

Talking of manuals - when I checked our mailbox on my return I found the Glenn's Renault Repair and Tune-Up Guide that I found in an online shop in the states. $26 and it is in perfect condition and includes the 4CV, Dauphine, Gordini, Caravelle, Caravelle S and the R8. It is American but using the original diagrams from the Renault manual.

Now I have the two manuals there is no excuses at all.... although I will still be asking lots of questions.

I just bought a RHD 4CV ( same colour as yours) and I keep walking around it wondering where to start. This thread is a welcome bonus. The water pump is rattling and about to disintegrate. I live in New Zealand so finding parts is going to be a mission. Any help you can offer me by way of recommendations where to find bits would be much appreciated. Would love to know where you bought the water pump and gasket set. The gearbox is jumping out of reverse but I haven't ascertained yet if it is a worn gear or linkage that is not engaging completely. Much to do. You seem to have done a great job of that engine bay. Hope mine will look as good.

Hi Tripyrenees. How's work on the 4CV going?
I've been offered one to buy and still thinking about it ...

Back