Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New Battery

mojobaby

Enthusiast
Can anyone tell me if the 12V battery that I bought today is OK for my car?

First of all, the dimensions are different and I'm going to have to adapt the battery tray. My old battery was about 13cm wide and this one is 16cm wide.

My old battery had 330A and 45Ah written on the side.

The new one is 470A and 52Ah.

What exactly does this all mean?

IMGP1582.JPG
IMGP1583.JPG

The old battery is the correct power for R4. 330 is the power of the battery which will run all the electical units on the car .45ah is the cold cranking power (starting).
The new one has more power than you need,plus physicaly larger.

Thanks Jonigel, if its so much stronger, will there be any chance of damaging any of the electrical components in my car?

I bought it purely because of the price. It was 74 Euro as opposed to 109Euro for a Fulmen battery that had 330Amps with the correct dimensions.

I'm sure that I can adapt the battery to fit the tray

No, I don't think that it will damage your car. It's just got the potential to deliver more power if required. My only concern is that you are asking more of the alternator (but not a lot more I don't think).

No it should not do it any harm ,it only uses what it needs, but the alternator will work harder. Make sure the earth is clean and tight.

Thanks Jonigel and Jjad for the information.:) I think I'll put it in tomorrow. Just got to figure out how to clamp it down. I'll let you know the progress

OK, it was quite a simple fix. I drilled 2 extra holes in the battery tray. Then bent a threaded bar to go through the holes and put nuts to hold it tight.
Luckily the battery has a little lip that fits underneath the bar

2018-02-10 20.49.15.jpg

Back