Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

New r4 f6 owner looking for misc manuals, info.

A spooky ghost

Enthusiast
Hi everyone!

In a few days I'm going to pick up a new to me 81 r4-f6 van . The fact it was in Virginia was amazing, since it is 60 miles away, even better..

Would anyone here have the factory parts books for this van(pdf)? Or even service manuals? I have seen the haynes books for sale, always like the factory ones better.

I can read french well enough.

I don't think there are too many of these f6's stateside. Or really any r4's in general.

Pictures to come when we go get it.

Thanks.

Hello!

I'm just amazed there is an F6 in USA if I'm honest! Pics please!

If you contact the Renault Owners Club (www.renaultownersclub.com) they can do most manuals in PDF form though you will probably need to be a member. Otherwise, theres a wealth of knowledge on here.

F6 in USA.....It must be private import.....or i do not know something. :whistle:

Even regular R4 (saloon) is very hard to find in USA. Whitch are also private import.

Would like pictures, pretty please?

I have few manuals of R4 but not specialy for F6.
If you would like to have it let me know.

Yeah it would have been imported personally by someone. The seller said it came from the south of France. He daily drove it up until 3 years ago(used for farm work around town).

I would be happy to have any tech info at all for the r4's...:waving:

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 6
Sounds like a rare find - congratulations!
Partswise, the best thing to have is a version of the PR900 (Renault's official parts book). I only have paper versions of these, but you may well find a pdf version here or elsewhere on line. I've found it invaluable, although it's worth bearing in mind that some part numbers changed over the years. If you can get, say, the 1970 to 1983 version and the version that gives all numbers to 1995, you'll be pretty well covered.
The Haynes manual is excellent for the small-engined (up to 845cc) r4s, but information on the 1108cc 4GTL and F6 is limited to a shorter section tacked on to the end - and only in the editions that show 1986 on the cover. Providing you make the appropriate changes, you can glean quite a lot of useful information from the Haynes manuals on the R5 (72-85) and the R6, which deal with both small- (>845cc) and 'large'- (956/1108cc and up) engined models from the start.
The French 'Revue Technique Automobile' (RTA) is useful too. It tends to say 'do this', rather than showing you how, but it's a great source of information - and you can always find one on eBay. The one you need is 388 - 'Renault 4TL* et 4GTL, Fourgonnettes F4 et F6'. The main body of it covers the early versions, with (in mine, at least) a few pages at the end dedicated to changes made after 1980.
Sorry I can't help with pdf versions, and apologies if you know all of the above!
Best of luck with the F6.

* The later 4TLs had the 956cc engine

Congratulations with such a rare find.
Even here in Europe the F6 is proving to be a rare car. Normally they have been driven and abused until they fell apart.

the car you have looks like a F6 from the seventies with the hinges of the front doors on the outside of the body. All the F6s have a Cleon 688 engine, an 1108cc workhorse. If you are lucky it has a 32 mm carburetor that it delivers about 35 HP.
It is not fast but it delivers quite some torque for such a small engine.

Best thing is to find a haynes manual.

some good web shops for parts ar.
https://www.franzose.de/en/Home/ Der Fransoze in Germany
http://www.renault4onderdelen.nl R-Quatre in The Netherlands
https://www.retro4l.com In France

Going to go get it in a few days. Is really neat the car is so close. Renault left the usa after they went into business AMC. The best thing they had was the "Le car"(R5).

Those pop up for sale every now and then. They made some truly awful north america only vehicles too: Eagle Premier, and Renault alliance.

I suppose due to safety standards, and emissions- things like the R4 were just not practical. Since the car is 25 years plus, it is okay to have in the USA. By the same screwy standards, our Trabant 601 squeaks in too. So we can't have a newer tiny hatchback from Europe, but my smoking Communist Death trap is just fine.

Will update with video when the F6 gets home.

Wau! Trabant in USA.....You are looking for "funny" (according to USA standards at least) cars in USA.

Give me your email address so i can send you jumbo mail with all manuals about R4 i have.

No video yet, but a few random pictures.

Has a new radiator, and a good bit of other parts with it. Even two good front fenders. Need to find a muffler, and head light bulb now.

Will a standard r4 muffler work on it?

Also thanks petak for the manuals- these really help!

Adam.

• IMAG1691.jpg
    IMAG1691.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1692.jpg
    IMAG1692.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1696.jpg
    IMAG1696.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG1697.jpg
    IMAG1697.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1698.jpg
    IMAG1698.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 2
Hey Adam, no a GTL mufler wil only bring you grief.

You need to get the exhaust fumes to the side of a F6.
If you put a standard exhaust on it, the fumes will enter the cabin throug the gaps around the back door and girafon.
Opening the window will make things worse and you'll be gassing yourself in the process.
Unfortunately I'm speaking from experience.

But still, I'm amazed with your find.

Regards, Robert

Hi there
I can offer you a PDF version of PR1104 if this might be of any assistance at all?
Let me have an email address and I will send asap.
Regards
Tom

Thanks for the manual offer.

I already have a pdf of that, along with numerous other( given to me by Petak).

I yanked off the rotten left fender. The rust stopped right at the seem---YAAAAAH! ;) New fender looks perfect.

I found the exhaust parts picture in the 1104 book. I thought it was a bit fumey sitting at the stop light...

The worst rust is of course the front floor area. Might need more than fiber glass, and epoxy paint on this one. :scared:

Thankfully the rust is well clear of any mountings.

We cleared out the shed, and shoved the r4 in there. In a few days I'll get back to it with pictures and a video.

Adam.

Back