Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Newbie from Dorset....in Morocco

Zazate

Hello all,

My wife and I have just bought a Renault 4 down here in Morocco. The documents say it's a 1990, which being Morocco may or may not be correct. Overall the car is excellent, no rust and a great interior. The interior is black vinyl which goes against what the Buyers Guide says. I would like to know whether the specifications in Morocco may have been different from Europe.
Yesterday, I replaced plugs, HT leads, oil etc. Now, I'm not expecting great performance, but top speed seems to be around 56mph which seems a little low, there's no evidence of sledging in the rocker cover, so was looking for some pointers. The brakes aren't binding, and the engine seems smooth enough on acceleration and at idle. I was wondering whether it may not have the 1.1 engine fitted. Is there an easy way to check engine size.
Thanks in advance, Christian

Take a picture of the oval and diamond plates on the bulkhead, and of the engine number plate.
Then the clever folk on here can tell you what sort it is!

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Congratulations on the purchase of your car. Ours is also a 1990 model (a GTL with the 1108cc engine). I think you are right to expect a higher top speed than 56mph.

You can tell more about the model and engine by examining the 'oval plate' and 'engine plate' codes. See http://quatrelle.wikia.com/wiki/Model_identification and http://quatrelle.wikia.com/wiki/Engine.

Oh, and pictures would also help the more eagle-eyed on this forum to help to identify what engine you have. We like pictures here :)

Thank you for your quick and kind responses. I will take photos in the morning and post on here. I have already had a quote for a full engine rebuild, which is £300 all in, that might make sense! The car is so lovely, so will get it tip top before driving back to Blighty.

£300 for a rebuild! Crikey that's great value. Welcome to the forum :hug:

Morning,

Here are some photos, I look forward to hearing your responses. Hopefully I have bought something good and original!image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Welcome to the forum. Your car looks good. I'm pretty sure it has an 1108cc engine as fitted to the GTL, but in France and presumably Morocco it was known as the Clan. If the engine plate has 688 on it, situated near the oil filter, then it is an 1108cc motor. Looking forward to reading about your trip back to Blighty. What an adventure.

Regards Brian.

£300!? Derek at Renospeed quoted me £2000 (included removal and putting it back in mind...)

And Dorset? Howdy! My '85 GTL is spread all over DORSET :laughing:

Welcome to the forum.
Excuse my stating the obvious, do you not suspect a slightly pessimistic speedometer?
Your photographs suggest the lovely Renault is unfamiliar with the use of salt on winter roads.

Safe journey northwards and plenty of pictures please.

NEVER DRIVE FASTER THAN YOUR GUARDIAN ANGEL CAN FLY

N.

Back