Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Oh dear . . .

Renault18

Enthusiast
So, after parading pictures of Blanche, the 4 Savane on here the other week, disaster befell her. I acquired the correct replacement air filter for her and Malcolm sent the original base up to me in the post. I innocently removed the fitted filter (from a GTL) and secured the original base, new filter and rubber strap.

I then started up, revved the car and what ensued was the most awful sound I've ever heard on one of my cars. It sounded like a valve was sticking, so I immediately switched off. I was unable to understand how changing an air filter would sudden cause the engine to make the noise, or why a valve would suddenly stick.

I (stupidly) restarted the car to find the noise again - the loudest tapping sound ever, plus an inclination not to want to rev. Then it occurred to me - on the three studs on the carburettor, I could only recall fitting two of the tiny washers. The thought also entered my head, had I heard a tiny metallic pinging noise as I took the old mounting plate away?

image.jpg

That would be a yes then!

Yes, unnoticed by me, one of the tiny washers from the air filter mount had seemingly stuck to the mount and slipped off as I withdrew it, miraculously finding its way straight down the little throat of the Zenith carb. Upon start up, it went along with the air/fuel mixture for a ride - straight into number three cylinder where bits embedded themselves into the head and the edge of the piston.

Thankfully - and I've no idea how, but no scoring of the liner took place.

image.jpg

The piston has been very carefully cleaned up, the head cleaned and valves removed and a new head gasket fitted to complete the job. I'm still terrified that I may have disturbed a liner, but the job was painstakingly done and there appears to be no coolant in the oil.

image.jpg

Blanche started up straight away, minus the unwanted noise, although I feel that despite being unbelievably thorough, one of the valve clearances is out. I will now await a test run - I am collecting another 956cc engine in a week's time, so there is always a fall back position.

In the meantime, do yourselves a favour - put a piece of clean rag in the carb when you are working minus the air filter!

Sorry to hear of your drama, hope that there are no problems now that you've sorted it. Good reminder to us all about the need to be extremely careful.

Glad it's fixed! It is too easy to drop those little air filter bits into the carburettor or for the nuts to work themselves loose. Might be worth putting nyloc nuts on there instead...

Back