Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Oil leak from sump / timing chain cover

Leonardo.IT

Enthusiast
Hi everybody,
I'm experiencing a little but annoying problem with my 956cc TL.
The junction between the block, the sump and the timing chain cover is leaking quite a lot, and I'm wondering if I could fix that without taking off the engine from the car. The space to unscrew the sump is quite small I saw, but still I don't need to take off the cover of the timing chain, just to replace the two gaskets of the sump.
Anybody have done it before?

The leak is definitely from the sump, not from the camshaft or the crankshaft seals, those were replaced last week because the second one was compromized, but it was another problem (but not the only as I was expecting).

Thank you!

Can someone help Leonardo?
Surely this has to be the sump to main bearing junction?

Hi Leonardo,
I know its been done before, but I don't know how successful those people have been because they never reported back.

The first time I took an engine out, it took less than a day, and the second time was a lot quicker. I think its a lot easier to change the sump gasket with the engine out of the car.

There are 4 gaskets, not 2. You'll have to get some gasket cement or glue to hold them in place while you get the sump into position.
It's usually not necessary for a gasket cement, but the fact that you'll be doing it upside down, means you'll probably need it. I just used grease to hold things in place.

The main thing that you have to worry about is the positioning of the gaskets. At the back of the engine at the timing cover, the overlap of the gaskets should be as per the below photo. The piece of gasket over the front main bearing cap (flywheel side) is the last to go on so the it overlaps the 2 side gaskets. It is the opposite to the back.

I think that perhaps your leak might come from this point where the gaskets join. I also used some gasket silicon sealer at this join.

Good luck and let us know how you progress!DSCF6628.JPG

The gasket setup between 2 types of engine is different mojobay yours is 845
The 956 and 1108 uses 2 rubber half moons with cork over top
Remember that this was car with timing chain problem so the sump will of been 9ff before and probably not refitted correctly

Thank you! I didn't know that. Is there an "overlap" where the cork and rubber meet? Or does the end of the cork just rest on top of the rubber?

Now that you mention it, I do remember. I think Leonardo was driving to England at the time

I have done it with the engine on the car and it's a real pain, the engine needs to be lifted at the rear for about 5 cm in order to make room for the sump to come off. And there is always the risk of the rear half moon not being correctly fitted, or get swallowed inside the sump without you knowing it as you can't see it directly. It's better pulling the engine out for this job.

Hello everyone, I'm sorry I didn't check the forum as I wanted to do the job this weekend, but I've been sent in Norwich instead for work.
mr-reno is right I had the timing chain issue and I'm pretty sure it's my fault that I didn't placed the gasket back correctly. It worked good for 9 months or so, then it started to leak.
I'm sure the work it's much easier taking the engine off, and I think that will be the right way to do the job, also to be sure to place everything back correctly this time.
Thank you everybody! I'll let you know how it's going to end

Hello everyone, I'm sorry I didn't check the forum as I wanted to do the job this weekend, but I've been sent in Norwich instead for work.
mr-reno is right I had the timing chain issue and I'm pretty sure it's my fault that I didn't placed the gasket back correctly. It worked good for 9 months or so, then it started to leak.
I'm sure the work it's much easier taking the engine off, and I think that will be the right way to do the job, also to be sure to place everything back correctly this time.
Thank you everybody! I'll let you know how it's going to end
Leonardo -Are you in Norwich then? !!!! I live just up the road in Wymondham. Would be good to meet you :hug:

Leonardo -Are you in Norwich then? !!!! I live just up the road in Wymondham. Would be good to meet you :hug:
I'm really sorry, I didn't even tried to find someone in the area!
Unfortunately I had to fly back home on Sunday night, but it would have been really a pleasure! Next time I won't do the same error!

lzILWoB.jpg

This was the reason of the leak. When I put back the timing chain cover last time I must have misplaced the seal and this is the results after a few thousand kilometers.

Back