Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Overheating, engine over run

Paul f6 spain

Enthusiast
Hello gents,
This evening I had a good run about in my F6, on the journey home I noticed the aftermarket temp gauge rising then the factory water temp light came on, i eased off and limped the car home, it ran at higher revs as if the choke was on, as i pulled into my steet and put it into reverse to park it made some weird and off pytting sounds from tge engine bay.
There was a trail of water down my street. I checked under the bonnet and the over flow bottle was nearly full and mercky. Then I had to stall the car to stop it. When I turned it off and removed the ignition keys the motor still ran !!!
After an hour or so I went back to have a look, i filled the overflow tank to it's correct level and started the car, it started on the button as it always does, revved it and it sounded fine. There's no signs of any mayonnaise on the cap or dipstick but naturally I'm thinking it could be the head gasket.
So gents, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thermostat ?
Water pump ?
Head gasket ?
Thanks in advance.
Paul F6.

The trail of water on the road suggests the leak is only happening under pressure, so I'd take a good look at the pipes and clips when the engine is running at normal temperature to see if there are any tell-tale wet areas. The engine over-running when you switch off can be a badly adjusted ignition, excessive carbon build up in the cylinder head or a damaged head gasket. Try and eliminate the easier things first before going down the head gasket route.

Good luck!

Thanks,
Updates, the local Renault dealership has confirmed it's a leaking water pump and head gasket but their quote was just too high so it's now in another garage....not going to be cheap though.

Thanks,
....not going to be cheap though....
I'm curious to the total cost...
It should't be that costly as a new waterpump is 70,= eur, a waterpump gasket 2,25 eur, a new head gasket 26,50 eur, some cooling liquid and a mere 3 DIY hours of work...

Back