Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Piet's R4

Pieter

Enthusiast
You can't have enough True Blue Aussie R4s! This is a UK delivered car, built about Sept '67, brought back to Australia as a private import in mid '68.

imgp0198_325.jpg
http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/files/imgp0198_325.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to put a car to a name. That's the one I saw at the 2005 Vic FCD!!

Love the car ! that is one seriously pretty R4 .I especially like the cars from 67 onwards .The early cars are nice but nothing compared to these .The paint finish looks really good.You australian really do know how to restore and maintain classic cars.
I used to know are really decent couple from either Melborne or Adelaide ?They were really into the Renault classic scene .Their names were Nick and Jan Davies ! are they still about ?

Liam4R4SPARES said:
You australian really do know how to restore and maintain classic cars.
I used to know are really decent couple from either Melborne or Adelaide ?They were really into the Renault classic scene .Their names were Nick and Jan Davies ! are they still about ?

I think the lack of salted roads really helps here, however the sun really knocks out the plastic parts. I just am amazed at some of the projects that are restored in Europe and the UK, better cars here are scrapped!

As for Nick and Jan, I know them well. Last I heard they were travelling Europe in an Ebay acquired Renault motorhome. Probably another acquisition for their lost and orphaned Renault home :-)

hi Pieter
yep, that's a beauty! pity this country is so wide. Even meeting up halfway is out of the question.
cheers franklin

Thanks guys. Its always amazing to find more R4s salted away. There's a nice '72 model (ex Rhodesian, blue car) sitting in someone's factory in Melbourne and someone here has a '66 with a factory sunroof. And Simon, there used to be heaps of early ones in Adelaide. What happened to them all? We should start an informal register.

I’d be guessing there seems to be more private import R4’s kicking around than the Australian production ones. From what I can find, my R4 would appear to be the last (or second to last) Australian production one registered in Australia. There would have been a few in Melbourne, a lot of early cars that just have disappeared. There was an early breadloaf grille car that was fully rebuilt in bright red at a Roundup back in 1989, then Alain Newton’s restored red car that has dropped off the map since he sold it. There is also a very low mileage original car from the same batch as mine in Melbourne, Drovers Gold in colour, but that car also seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. There are also other Melbourne based cars such as the nicely patinated early original brick red car that appeared at an FCD back in 1997 never seen again.

In Adelaide again most seem to be private imports, a couple of South African ones with the flat top four speed (again now whereabouts unknown). There was an ex-Canada car with the 7” sealed beam headlights that was very rusty, it was cannibalised. The bonnet and headlights went onto a restored Le Mans green R4, that was very nicely rebuilt, but again now whereabouts unknown.

Most would have started dropping out in the early 1980’s, the original brick red, toothpaste blue and appliance white cars being uncommon but still seen. But my guess is that rust finally took its toll, as well as the early parts, like driveshafts, basically being unobtainium in those post Renault Australia days. By the time I got mine in 1986, they were basically never seen. When I was rebuilding my car, there was a guy who had worked with them when new, he said eight out of ten leaked water when they were new, yours must have been one of the two that didn’t.:-)

Back