Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Project builders come out of the woodwork!

JonathanT

Not normal for Norfolk
We know you are there ....Plenty of you have stuff on the go but are keeping quiet! It would be great to see some more projects on the go - keeps the forum ticking over... So come on guys you know who you are :waving:

Yes Jonathan,I'm one of them!!

it has been very quiet lately but I blame it entirely on winter. Especially when you work outside!

My project is still ongoing and will be tackling my back brakes pretty soon so will be putting up some pics shortly.:)

Hardly a 'project' as we know it but I regard my R4GTL as a road going project, as bit by bit improvements are made, rust is eradicated and the car becomes a bit more reliable. This weekend, in between the showers, I removed the old corroded front bumper as I will be fitting the chrome bumper I bought from you Jonathan. Every single nut and bolt attaching the bumper to the bumper irons were seized/corroded and it took ages with mole grips and a small cold chisel to free them all off. The driver's side bumper iron had rotted away but the chrome bumper came with decent ones. This morning I'll fit the chrome one and all of the bolts & nuts will have a good dollop of grease so they'll undo easily in the future. I imagine that these hadn't been undone since the car left the factory nearly thirty years ago.

Many more things to fix. I bought a towbar from Ailbe Kinane in Ireland which I've de-rusted and painted so that needs fitting and the electrics connecting up. The towbar is a 'double tongue' type, something I've not come across before, so a conventional electrical socket bracket won't fit on without me fabricating a special bracket.

During last weeks trip to Boulogne I noticed the clutch judder seems to get worse after I've been driving her for a few hours. I had read on here about the steel bracket beneath the exhaust manifold either being missing or broken, and which has similar symptoms, but that appears to be OK so it will probably require a new clutch. For usual driving around town and for short journeys there's no juddering, just when she's all warmed up. I will need to check all of the engine mounts before touching the clutch.

The heated rear window. I got a repair kit but when testing the elements it does seem that much of them have breakages so it might not be worth the time and trouble to repair each and every one of them.

Hi there Paul.. I swear to use copper-paste (grease) on All bolts and nuts so they come off easy next time around.
Only costs around a fiver for a tube that lasts for years.keeps rust away and also saves your knuckles and limits the
"french" to the bare necessity.
I mounted a NOS chromed front-fender too and looking at the chrome on the rear and edges of it I painted several
thin coats of silver Hammerite to give it a fighting chance..

Oil or grease on the cluch-plates? Some Coca-Cola (the one With sugar) onto the clutch works so it won't slip as
sugar crystallices with heat and get a better grip.. (smells nice too!) Won't help if your bracket is broke or missing-
Of course :laughing:

All the best guys! -Reid.

Reid, I bought a tub of CopperSlip about forty or so years ago and it still isn't empty yet. I always use the stuff when there's heat around - exhaust manifold nuts, etc, but grease everywhere else. I cleaned up the road dirt from the back of the chrome bumper, there were a few rust specks, and coated the back with Hammerite Underseal (with added Waxoyl). I think it will outlast me!

I noticed yesterday that the front edge of the passenger side front wing is very rusty and look past repairing with fibreglass. I am hoping for lots of stalls at Thenay selling spare parts.

few years ago I used acid free weapons-oil heated to about 40C. used a large soft brush plus rags and "washed" all of the interior-flooring
that stuff crept in and up in every nook and cranny and still seem to hold up nicely. Best part was/is it doesn't look like it's there at all as
it just enhances the original look of the metal...

I second your wish about loads of stuff for sale in Thenay..It's like ads-even if your'e not in the marked for stuff it's good entertainment!
As I,ve mentioned b4 I would think it's a good idea to start a tread "Wanted/For Sale For pick-up/delivery in Thenay" Where Both parties
stands by their word.... I've got lots of parts/accessories that I don't need, and would love for someone to put them to own use just in
order to keep another 4 on the road.. Again-Depending on all standing by the deals done, as I would hate to have to haul it back again..
-Reid

Great Stuff guys . Paul how about starting a project blog so we can follow? In the breif meeting we had over the bumper your car seemed to be running very sweetly and quietly

Jonathan, Would others be interested? Especially as there are some impressive body-off restorations.

Just fitted your old chrome bumper, it's taken a little while but now looks good. I've found a fair bit of rot at the forward edges of both front wings so will go with new replacements rather than using GRP.bumper on today. What with derusting, priming and painting the back of the bumper and the irons, it's all good now.

Sounds great.

No disagree re blog ...I think it's good to share and for me kept motivation up.
Wings are relatively cheap and would be a good job done vs fibreglass

Guilty of not getting on with my rodeo
Chassis is still laying on its side in my workshop
There must be more waxoyl in the right hand side chassis by now

Back