Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R 4 gearbox

Audunn jonsson

Enthusiast
hello hello,i have an r 4 with the 845 cc engine,and was wondering if i can use the gerabox from the 845 engine to the 1400 cc alpine engine will it bolt on or is some macine work requerd ? Or can i use a gearbox from the 1108 cc engine ?
Thanks
Audunn

I stand to be corrected, or second opinioned!

My understanding is the 850cc motor turns in a different direction to the 1400cc motor.
So, no, the gearbox that you have will NOT work with the 1400c

You would be best to use the 1108cc GTL gearbox as it has a final drive of 3.1:1
(Roughly 3000rpm at 100 km/hr). With the greater torque and power of the 1.4 litre engine you want the "tallest" gearing that you can find. It will bolt straight on to the engine.
I had a 956cc Renault 5* that had a final drive of 4.125:1 and it was revving at about 4000 rpm at 100 km/hr. Noisy, harsh, not very economical but with great acceleration!
Some people have fitted the 5 speed gearbox that is bolted to the Alpine engine. This requires some modification to the front crossmember. Check out Malcolm's Gordini on this very website! (MY CARS)
The choice is yours.

*Renault 5 mechanicals are the same as Renault 4.

Hallo david and thanks a lot, so the 845 is clokvise and 1108- 1400 is anticlokvise ! So that will not be a good
Out come (4 back an 1forward) so ill have to start looking for a 1108 gtl or a F6 van that is the same box i thing,
Thanks and reguards from iceland

Back