Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 1974 Windscreen wiper motor wanted

Trish B

Enthusiast
Please can anyone offer me an R4 1974 model, windscreen wiper motor? I live in Zimbabwe and mine gave up in a big tropical rainstorm. There is one on Ebay but it does not seem to be the right one for the 1970's.

Wich one do you need , the old a little square shape or the later tubular ? The tubular motors are the same for early and later models , the difference is in the plugs , so if you cut them and solder from your motor it will be OK . I did such an operation to a 1985 motor an installed in my car with a 1975 electrics.

If it is the 6Volt motor i have one somewhere but have no idea if it works .

Wich one do you need , the old a little square shape or the later tubular ? The tubular motors are the same for early and later models , the difference is in the plugs , so if you cut them and solder from your motor it will be OK . I did such an operation to a 1985 motor an installed in my car with a 1975 electrics.

If it is the 6Volt motor i have one somewhere but have no idea if it works .

Apparently it is 12 volt. Maker SEV MARCHAL.

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. This is a photo of my non-working wiper motor It is 12 volt. Maker: SEV MARCHAL.
IMG_9663.jpegIMG_9664.jpegIMG_9665.jpeg

Using a voltmeter you could also check if you have continuity in the windings, which if you DON'T have could mean condemning it. That said, the brushes are a racing certainty to be the problem.

the later motor is in fact to speed and could be fitted along with a switch as an upgrade provided you were clever enough to figure out the wiring out i do think you would need the mechanism as well as the motor mounts slightly differently and then following on from that the wiper arms may have a different fitting on spindles

I just started thinking about one matter. Is there any difference in the mechanisms of different R4 models ? Because depending on the year the wipers park position is different. Some park at the bottom of the windscreen and have bent wiper arms , while the other park in the middle of the windscreen on the passenger's side.

Hi, thanks to you all for thinking about this. I wish I understood what you are saying. All I can say, is that my R4 is right hand drive and the wipers are straight and come to the rest position sideways on the right. My auto electricians gave up because they say it is burnt out, however they have sent it to a private person who likes to tinker and apparently he says he can fix it. Also a friend who has an R4, two in fact, and uses one for spares, has a defunct wiper motor of the same kind. He has offered it in case the two can be made one. Is it possible to get the right wires in the UK, if that is what is needed? Trish B.

If it is burnt , any electrician who knows how to rewire an engine will fix it without any problems. No wires bought abroad should be needed.

Thanks for that. Now I wonder why my auto electricians have not done it. Will phone them tomorrow.

Here in Poland auto electricians can't do this things but there are the electricians who repair big industry motors and they know how to repair any electrical engine. If there are no melted parts inside , everything can be repaired even the brush contact surface can be replaced with ease.

I thought you were in the UK!! So there are R4's all over the globe :-) I will try to find out tomorrow if the person who has it is succeeding.

Good news, and I have to thank everyone who took an interest in my problem. My auto electricians outsourced the burnt out wiper motor and it
has been repaired!!!! The only thing is that it now comes to rest on the passenger side, which obstructs vision. My daughter is annoyed, but I get the clear view. Let the rains come!!! Very grateful for all friendly advice. See you next time I have a problem. Cheers from Zimbabwe.

Probab;y they put the motor together with the mechanism incorrectly . If it parked ok before the repair it can be set like this again. Either the arms were put on incorrectly ( on the wiper blades side or on the motor side ) or the contact point responsible for wipers return to rest position was put in wrongly in the motor.

I shudder to think of having to take it out again! However, thank you very much for this good advice!

I have a new problem with my repaired windscreen wiper motor. Driving down the road, not using the wipers, the motor suddenly made a loud, high pitched noise. I turned the wipers on, and they worked, but the noise carried on. Went home immediately and disconnected the battery in case the motor could drain it.
Have now removed the fuse, so I can drive it, but wonder what can be wrong. As we tested which fuse should be removed, the motor still made that noise. It is not the first time that I have driven the car since the wiper motor was repaired, so why would it suddenly start running like that?
I have mentioned before that the wiper blades are set opposite to the way they were before. They now come to the off position on the passenger side whereas they used to come down behind the steering wheel.
I am contacting the auto electricians about this but wonder if any of you can offer advice? Thanks

Sounds like a dodgy connection to do with the self-parking mechanism to me. If the wipers are now parking in the opposite position it's possible that the permanent live feed that allows the wiper blades to carry on and park after the power has been turned off is continuing to pass current to the motor after it should have stopped. in most self-parlking systems this can be adjusted and it might be worth looking into this first.

Very grateful for that suggestion. I have printed it out for the auto electricians tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Park position is dependent on the drive arm on the motor output spline being fitted correctly you will need to acess nut on end of motor spindle slacken several turns and free off arm tapered splines
refit 180 degrees you will have to remove some of dashboard for acess

Back