Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 GTL Front Brake hub puller, (drum brakes)

Malcolm Brown

Enthusiast
Hello all, Desperate here,,

Does anyone know where I can get a three legged brake hub puller for my Trnault 4 GTL. He is fitted with drum brakes and I am unable to locate a puller for
less than $125 from the USA.

Are you trying to take the brake drum off? If so you do not need a puller ,just slacken the two adjuster nuts on the backplate then remove the three screws on the front of the drum and pull it off,if it rusty a couple of blows with a copper mallet will free it off. If you are replaceing the hub bearing i just use a press.

No, I need to withdraw the entire assembly from the drive shaft about 3cms to be able to change the bottom ball joints and wheel bearings

ok you have to take the drive shaft out first,undo top ball joint and steering ball joint,release h/brake cable and flexy hose, you can then turn the upright far enough to push the drive shaft out of upright,tie it up or take it out but you will lose a bit of oil.Undo nut on bottom swivel ,if you dont have ball joint splitter ,use a hammer on the side of the upright not the ball joint and it will fall out. You will then have the upright in your hands to change the wheel bearing . Then you can replace the bottom ball joint easily,no pullers required but you will need a press for the bearing or take it to your local garage put it back in reverse order.

As a warning if you use a 3 hole puller with a bolt that pushes on driveshaft you are effectively pushing shaft all the way into gearbox and then forcing gearbox across on rubber mounting
Not recommended
Use to use slide hammer instead but easier to take whole assembly off and using a suitable stepped drift knock centre part out from behind being careful not to damage splines
Puller and press will be needed to continue

Back