Hi All,
Good bits about the car:
It starts first time and drives beautifully
MOT'd
New tyres
New carpets
Kept indoors and currently SORN
Not so good bits:
Needs welding in the front drivers footwell but not loads!
A not so good re-spray which I am gutted about considering the cost. Some rust coming through on sills and a hit on the lower body work

If I'm way off on the price then let me know. Just hoping to get back what it owes me.

Have to sell due to needing to pay off another car. One of life's curve balls sadly.

Learnt to drive in one of these and always hoped to keep one forever.

Needs a good home.

Let me know what you think.

Will check if I've posted in the correct area, bit of a muppet and could only find 'post new thread' rather than 'new topic'!

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    356.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    369.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    253.5 KB · Views: 7
Erm, thinking the price is way off if so many people have viewed this page and not commented..
Anyone want to share their thoughts on the price?
I was advised by my local garage...

Mentioning rust and £3500 in same advert is probably not going to help
We are mainly hands on here and we all know about the rust and with the right skills are all busy sorting our existing cars out
All of which if done commercially will easily cost the sort of money you are hoping to recoup
The romantic 4 buyer will be put off by your honest description
Please take my comments in a non critical way and hope you find a buyer
We are all looking for the mythical bargain of a perfect car that will never need anything doing to it whatever our budget ☺

I agree with Paul. I sold a RHD GTL last year and felt that I did quite well to get just under £3k. Judging by your description, it had fewer issues than yours. Having said that, prices seem to have risen a bit since then.

You can advertise it (free) on my website, if you like. Most of the cars on there are 2CVs but that might help you, as you would be offering an alternative to a 2CV for a lower price than they tend to fetch.

As Paul suggested, it would be worth wording the ad differently, making more of the good points and not necessarily mentioning the bad points, or at least not making a thing of them. Getting people to view the car is the first hurdle. Some people fall in love with a car on first sight and either don't really notice the visiblle faults or pursuade themselves that the faults are not that bad. Don't frighten those people away before they have a chance see it.

I would add the comment that colour can be a huge influence on people too, especially if it is a buy it with the heart purchase. People have to see themselves in it before buying.

In your cars case the white on blue is quite 'sudden' and may put a few people off. The great news is that this could be quite easy to tone down a little, say by painting the wing mirrors, wheels or bumpers silver / grey. You don't have to do all of them as the contrast is what breaks the colour up. The thing I have learnt through selling a few 2cv's recently is that buyers are often in the 50 plus bracket, and want one for nostalgic reasons but not remotely mechanical people. Any work needed immediately will put them off.

Anything needing work and therefore advertised at an appropriate price tends to go to a different audience, so it pays to push the car either 'up' to the nostalgic buyer, or price appropriately for those prepared to get dirty finger nails. Those inbetween can be slow sellers.

Like Malcolm I'm busy trying to keep my own together but wish you best with the sale. An honest appraisal can be to put it on ebay with a reserve of what you want but start the auction at 99p. It will become apparent what the market is prepared to pay at auction end. If it reaches reserve then great, or if not maybe then repricing it slightly above the auction end value will set a realistic price the market may bear.

Colour, of course, is a subjective thing but I think the French blue and white looks really nice. Imagine yourself driving a Matra F1 car around Monaco ;-)

Colour, of course, is a subjective thing but I think the French blue and white looks really nice. Imagine yourself driving a Matra F1 car around Monaco ;-)
I don't see the colour combination as a problem: some will like it some won't. (Although perhaps as Paul and I are both 2CVers, maybe the diverse individuality of 2CVs has influenced our view?)

I'm a 2cv'er too. That said I prefer 2cv's in factory colours so maybe I'm just a purist when it comes to colour.

Hi Reggie,
I'm interested In your Renault, for the right price. My Mum turns 60 at the end of August and the one I was doing up for her is too far gone. I have 4 R4's but they will all have to be sold for projects as they need too much welding.
Could you give me a ring on 07989983859 to have a chat, cheers
Jim

Hi Jim,

You about tomorrow and I'll call you. The car is in Devon not London.

All the best.

Hi All,

I really appreciate the time you all took to advise me. Very helpful. I was blunt about the car because you are all fairly seasoned R4 buyers and I didn't want to big up the car in order to avoid disappointment when anyone came to see it. Fine line I know!

We are going to advertise on eBay unless Jim is interested.

Sorry for not calling you yesterday (unless my husband did!) and I should explain.. I'm Nicola. Reggie was my first R4 that I learnt to drive in...

Have a lovely day.

Yours is the only rhd one out of those you have listed
The yellow one is not clear in pics or description but clue is registered after uk cars stopped on d reg

Hi everyone,

We sold our lovely R4 to a great guy in Cardiff who is going to restore Pepes as he is now called.

We're really happy - he is a proper enthusiast and I've emailed him the link to this site. Hopefully he will post pictures and updates.

All the best from a former R4 owner.

Back