Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 restoration made in France

Like your own R4 David ;)

Naaa, mine is not so shiny.
(I am still curious of all of your zinc plated bolts and nuts !!!) ;)

With the right colour code for the bumpers (or the grille) I can't help unfortunately.
I used my own grey there. Totally different from what Renault used on their bumpers.
I like it better than the original colour, but that's just me. :rolleyes:

:) Hi everybody and happy new year to all of you,

at the end of 2012 I decided to fit the second front wing to finish the job on the body of the car, I used for the firsttime my christmas present :cool:
955 Cadeau noël.jpg
I started with the door and I made a mistake, that would have been more practical to start with the wing to have a better access to the rear bolts...
957 Jeu porte avant.jpg
As you know I love the details, so I put sealant on the screw of the space-pocket at driver side:
958 Etanchéité vis.jpg
Then I used the same sealant for the left front wing:
959 Joint aile.jpg
Center the hood with the 2 wings wasn't easy and the space between the differents parts seems to be larger than other R4s, but with the tubes at each side I hope this will be invisible...
961 Capot centré.jpg
Another "little" problem with the adjusting: the wing is "a little" too long compared with the triangle of the body :mad: but I couldn't make it better.
962 Jeu aile-caisse.jpg
I took a picture of the car by climbing on the washing machine but inside, the color is not as shiny as it would be outside:
963 Vue générale.jpg
After finishing the body (only the bumpers are to be fitted) I worked on the wood doors which are damaged and dirty by the years:
966 Panneaux de portes recto.jpg
967 Verso panneaux.jpg
The plywood has been wet by the time and I want to remplace it, I bought new one...
968 Medium neuf.jpg

Thanks Reggie,

here are some pics just taken few minutes ago, before the snow come again... The lumonisity is not great but this is the first time the car get back outside since november 24th :p :p

DSC01051.jpg
DSC01058.jpg
DSC01057.jpg

Hi David ;)

I hope it will be definitevely resolved with few kilometers, as soon as possible !

I sent you an email...

Hi everybody,
I removed the trim from the old door panels:
969 Déshabillage panneau.jpg
I cut carefully the new panels and made all the holes for fitting:
973 Panneaux découpés.jpg
Here are the products and the tools I used for this job:
974 Chantier garnissage.jpg
First of all I washed all the parts, and it was really necessary :eek:
976 Brossage crasse.jpg
And this is the moment I decided to make my panels more luxurious :D I decided to stick 3 mm foam between the panel and the trim, that also allows to protect the trim from the clips... It comes from my parents's home, they used that under the new floor at home...
977 Panneau et mousse encollés.jpg
979 Epaisseur mousse.jpg
You can see the bumps of the clips, the trim won't be damaged :p
981 Bosses agrafes.jpg
Then I sticked the trim on the panels with neoprene glue instead of fastening them (I don't have the good tool...)
982 Encollage garniture.jpg
984 Encollage garniture.jpg
And here are the finished job, all the undulations didn't disappear but the panels are now clean and have a delicious "softness" touch :rolleyes:
986 Gros plan côté gauche.jpg

Dear Alexandre,

The gap between the wing and triangle reminds me of the gap between the bumper and body on both the Renault 5 and Renault 5 Supercinq. I have had 3 mk1 R5 automatics and currently own a Supercinq automatic and on all of my cars on on other R5 + R5 Supercinqs that I have seen there always seems to be a gap between the bumper and car body especially near the ends of the bumpers.

On the R5 mk1 the interior door panels were cardboard covered in vinyl which must be very hard to restore although I imagine that Malcolm would be qualified to comment on this given that he has been restoring a mk1. Renault changed this on the Supercinq which has plastic panels. The automatic Supercinq models are the same in terms of specification as the GTS models and have electric front windows so seem to function better with a plastic door panel. The interior of the Supercinq shows much influence from the Austin Metro - IMHO. I had an A reg Metro Automatic for about 8 months in 1991 and the interior of my Supercinq is very similar in style to the Metro clearly the Metro was giving the R5 a run for its money in terms of competition and I think that before she jumped the queue and got a new Metro that Lady Dana Spencer (Princess Diana) drove a Renault 5. She got the Metro during the period of intense media interest in her in early 1981 and I remember some journalist remarking on the waiting list for a Metro which was new out then and that she got one really quickly it (the Metro) popped up on Ebay a few years ago - btw!

Anyway I digress....

Congratulations on a great restoration !

Regards

Harley :)

You made a nice choice of foam material, I think-it looks rather dense from the pictures. I made my door cards with the usual yellowish stuff inside and they became saggy after one (hot...) summer.
Have you any clue how to ask for it here?

Sorry- I was meaning where did you get it from, and what was it originally designed for. It seems interesting and I don't have found anything like that in automotive product shops.

Hi everybody,

as somebody suggested it on another thread, I gave two tubes of front bumpers for an epoxy coating in RAL 7030, I wanted to see if this color was similar than the real grey 677...
The result is really good :cool: Comparated to the RAL 7035 on others parts:
992 RAL 7030 et RAL 7038.jpg
993 Comparaison couleur.jpg
Before fitting theses parts on the front wings, I put a little sealant to protect the paint...
996 Pose joint.jpg
The job is finished, and the result is really beautiful, this week-end I'ml going to get the car outside the garage to see the result when the sun shines...
997 Crosses posées.jpg

nice one!
To compare ral colors.

Right now I am in that dilemma. Need to send bumpers to powder-coating
Which RAL color code is closer to original color code 677!
Need to send bumpers to powder-coating but unsure of right color choice.

So, you are saying that RAL 7030 is much closer to original color, if I understood correctly.

Did i get it right?

P.S. Can't wait to sea result on daylight!

Back