Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 tow bar

petak

Enthusiast
Hello to everyone!

recently discussion was going on about what is proper R4 vehicle?
In my mind it is basically "working horse" ready to carry or tow big load.
And still capable of working normally in everyday traffic.

For that purpose it must have tow bar.

forum member Tripyrenees asked for some measurement of a tow bar.
So here i am posting you few pictures and drawing (as pdf file) for tow bar that i have on my R4.
It is made in Slovenia by company who is making tow bars for all kind of cars.
It is certificated and approved and can be bought and installed in R4 without any questions about towing capabilities

Hope that this informations will help someone to make their own tow bar

Just to bi noted. This tow bar fits perfectly on 1992 GTL.
I think that will fit to all TL and GTL models but would be good idea to check measurements before.
Also for F models I believe that brackets need to be little bit longer but not sure. Please check before!

P1080483.jpg

P1080484.jpg

P1080485.jpg

P1080486.jpg

P1080487.jpg

View attachment R4 kuka.pdf

Hello Distributor Doc

If you are still in the market (after such a long time) for a towbar I may be able to help. I've designed a similar one and had a local company cut it out by laser.
Still undergoing finite trials but will post all findings and info how to make one.

Jonathan

Amazing !!!! I have this evening tried out my R4 GTL with my Eriba Puck Caravan. - The combination tows per perfectly! I really did expect the 'tail to be wagging the dog' but no. Acceleration good and handling excellent. I can even see through the window via my rear view mirror. Though it is in the top third of the R4 rear window.

Normally I tow with my big People Carrier (C8) Frankly it doesn't know the caravan is on the back... so I am truly amazed that my little R4 with its soft suspension style and diminutive size and weight does it so well... Just got to remember the R4 is narrower than the Caravan and the C8 wider!

I have designed a towbar and had it cut out by laser. It replaces both inside bumper supports and the two towing eyes. Bolting in place with three bolts on each side at the rear of the chassis using existing holes I guess are present on all R4's . The crossbar is discreetly placed directly behind the bumper and is not seen. The tow ball and bracket detach leaving only the electrical socket and a towball 'receptor' visible. I will post some photos on here soon together with the AutoCAD drawings for anyone to make their own under their own responsibility.

Anyway hoping this thread is of interest to those wishing to tow a vintage caravan or trailer.

Jonathan 2014-02-27 18.04.50.jpg

I would be interested in how you picked up the electrics too... Caravan looks great.

R4 is stubborn mule and towing load like a lorry.

Yesterday, friend told me that he pull out 1000kg in his little F6.
To me it seems little bit to optimistic.

I'm looking to buy an towbar, but finding is not easy. In Portugal Is mandatory have the the certificate plate on the towbar so made one is out os question.

Anyone knows any shop to buy one?

Der Franzose have them 149 euros plus shipping
Regards AL

Reactions: DAA
Back