Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4F6 Custom exhaust?

A spooky ghost

Enthusiast
Has anyone put a pipe in place-(where the muffler is under the fender)? Then moved the muffler else where?

I'm talking about doing this on a 81' R4F6 R2370 -this has the big engine.

You can fit a regular GTL exhaust underneath an F6

But the straight backside creates some inward turbulence and makes the exhaust fumes come into the car. It permeates through all the gaps.
I almost gassed myself last summer.
But I’m told that the British version has an especially made rear exit exhaust

Last edited:
Suppose if it came to it, a glass pack muffler under the floor would be good enough. Or something near the size.

Hi spooky, maybe visit your local speed-shop, and get them to make up a custom stainless exhaust as per original. Muffler under the fender, and tail-pipe exiting just in front of the left hand rear wheel. You could perhaps step up the diameter slightly and still maintain back-pressure, but gain a nice exhaust note.
Regards Brian.

Last edited:
I installed a freer-flow sports-muffler (Autobleu)under the wing and a small cherry-bomb to even the pulses a little
under the car, much nicer dry/raw sound! I have the side-draft exh.ending front of rear-wheel -Reid.

Usually I'm all for keeping things original. Since we are in the USA, almost no euro parts places will ship here.

Still waiting to hear back from a few more. Anyway, if a original can not be gotten over here, then custom it will be!

It is a tiny size pipe, not many good choices for a muffler. Most of our aftermarket stuff only goes down to 17/8".(48mm).

Had the same problem with a 58 Hillman Minx.

There is always a way!

Havn't you anybody in Europe you trust enough to let him buy the items for you and then ship the packet in the USA?

I have very few contacts in Europe. Though I've owned numerous screwy little cars from around the world.

Anyway, I think I found a good source, a tie between:

http://www.melun-retro-passion.com/

or

http://www.vehicules-anciens.fr/en/

and of course ebay.fr

Of all the Peugeots, and a Citroen CX- I never ran into the problem of companies not shipping here.

Suppose most places do not want the extra hassle.

I do find it something that every Trabant parts place will happily ship here, no questions asked!

Just saying....:whistle:

Back