Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 gearbox

Stan

Enthusiast
Hello all,
I have been offered an R5 5speed gearbox for my R4 but neither of the two of us know of a value. Can anyone out there give us an idea what I should pay for it ?
Cheers Stan.

HI Stan! still not blown into the sea?-as Jim says,about £50 should do it.. just remember the TS-box could be both 5th=Direct gear
(more gearing No real gain) and also Overdrive, which in my opinion is better for calmer cruising-speeds.
-I gather your motor is a 1108cc right? -Reid.

There are 2 different ratios on ha 1 box the ts and tx box fitting either won't gain mpg or reduce rpm
The box you need is from 82 on 5tl or gtl
Which allows for more relaxed cruising I can't remember which is the number suffix on round plate
I threw away loads few years back as they never go wrong

Thanks lads for the info, I'll check which box it is. Not blown into the sea yet Reid, the motor is 1400cc.

Gordini turbo is ng type box
Later version of atmo 5 gordini 353 box
Both visual identical but miles to.big for R4 although I have got one in yellow peril.

What is needed to be done to yours Jim to make it fit mine, ie would the first motion shaft and bell-housing need to be changed from mine to yours ?

One for Paul, I've Just looked back at Jims post and correct me if I'm wrong but the box Jim has will not give me reduced revs in fifth, is that correct ?

Need the tag number to be certain search back through my previous posts I am bound to have written about it before

I have just found the workshop manual there is about 3 pages of different ratios listed for the four speed gearbox and will take ages for me to upload pics however as we are discussing 5 speed gearbox here is the info the gearbox we need is HA1 with 02 tag right-hand drive 01 tag is a left hand drive
HA1 03 and 04 is the ts gearbox or tx

• 20160426_085224.jpg
    20160426_085224.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 24
We have discussed about ratios in 5 speed gearboxes earlier.

Maybe you will find some interesting info here

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/5-speed-gearbox.5784/

I would like to here some "real life" experience from anyone who has 5-speed gearbox with standard 1,1 GTL engine?
If there is one with combination like that!

Are figures that i have calculated real or just math?

So to summarise, am I right in saying that there is not really much advantage to fitting the 5spd box to get a decent drop in revs, apart from the revs decrease, is the R5 box stronger ?

Hi again Stan. For what its worth:All I can say is that the change to a 5sp. HA1 (overdrive) gearbox has Completely changed the driving-
experience for me.
It must be emphasized that this is in combination with a change to a R5TX 1398cc motor. I used to have a R5GTL 1297cc w.4sp.HA0-box
in before and at speeds of above, say 135km/h. I was constantly listening for "sounds" and having a bad feeling :vsad: about it as I felt the
revs was too high for extended hauls..

and now you ask? -well, it pulls nice and strong above and beyond that speed -and then I put it into 5th.....:whistle:
I just can't wait till the motor is fully broken in..........

-I haven't mounted a rev.counter, so can't really tell you exact figures, but the sheer "feel" of more relaxed rpms. can't be compared,it
just feels Much more at ease now,so I can again enjoy zooming around.. Which for me is the point!

-Hope you get what you're hoping for Stan. -Reid.

If i get somehow into position to buy 5 speed gearbox of HA1-01 or HA1-02 will definitely buy it and test on my R4.
I believe that gain is big if you are driving on open roads at higher speeds (around 100km/h) as RPM-s are dropping to highest torque point that 1,1 engine is giving, and at that point driving is much easier than on high revs.

But in Croatia it hard to find one (any type of 5speed gearbox for early R5), and i do not know how to bring one from "outside". It would be quite expensive shipping

I would not hesitate if gearbox is HA1-01 orHA1-02

Good luck and please give us report back what you have decided

Wil do petak, I have decided to go for the original one that I was offered so why not ask E4GTL in the above post if he will sell you his one.

Back