Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 TL chassis number location?

angel

Enthusiast
My apologies for being absent all that time...
I am looking to buy a late MK1 5TL (R1222) but we can't proceed with the local technical control because we haven't found the stamped chassis number (a must here in order to pass the technical control test).
I have looked under the passenger's seat (right hand seat!) on the crossmember, and it's not there. Neither is it on the side member, as it would be on an R4.
Does anyone more in the know in the R5s (I'm a complete novice on these cars!) have a clue? Any help appreciated!

Hi Angel

There should be a silver plate under the bonnet (possibly on the bulkhead) with the chassis number on it. The number may start with two letters such as VF..........

Best Regards

Hi,
The full chassis number should be stamped on the cross member under the front seats. Its usually the drivers seat on a left hand drive. If 2 door lift up the seat and there is a clean unpainted (usually rusted) patch where the number is stamped. Time can rust it badly. Be careful cleaning as you may destroy any remnants of the number. Hope this helps you.

Hi Angel

There should be a silver plate under the bonnet (possibly on the bulkhead) with the chassis number on it. The number may start with two letters such as VF..........

Best Regards

The plate is there, as well as the oval plate, but I am looking for the stamped chassis number. Thanks 4Reno, I was looking only under the passenger's seat, I'll give it a try again.

Renault 16 is stamped in chassis leg in boot floor
Maybe 5 is too
There was a website I found few years back showing vin locations I don't have it bookmarked anymore sorry as pc died

Thank you Paul and Andy, the chassis number is on the boot floor, found it now that I have the car in my hands and looked for it more carefully.

Back