Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

rear floor area dimensions

swampy

Enthusiast
hi, as someone who has never owned a 4, could someone tell me please, do the rear seats fold down flat on post 73 4`s, and if so what is length of the area created from the tailgate? Also what is the internal width between the rear wheel arches, and is the boot lip height actually 52cm as suggested by online dimension images? I am asking this because since joining the forum in spring and failing to buy a 4 at auction my circumstances have changed. I am still interested in owning a 4, and am now, at last, in a position to start looking again, but I now own a pair of Labradors, one of which is old, arthritic and needs a ramp to get into my current Kangoo. Thanks Swampy

Hi Swampy
The back of the rear seat folds forwards, and then you push the whole thing up against the front seats - sorry, too dark for a photo.
The space created is about 110cm long at floor level; it's about 100cm between the wheelarches. I make it 52cm from ground to boot floor. It's easy to lift arthritic dogs in and out!

Andy, thanks, that sounds good. I won`t be lifting her, she is 31 kg and has spine, hip and knee problems, and I have a dodgy back, but I do have a nice big folding ramp.
Cheers swampy

Why don’t you go for a Van.
The ramp will fit easily.
And you can put something with padding next to it.

hi, yes, interested in the van, but know nothing about them, like what is the difference between an f4 and an f6, whether they use standard car engines or have low compression heads, whether they have car difs or low ratio items to cope with the load, do those useful giraffe roofs turn out to leak etc. If I see a decent one advertised I would be interested, proper version of the kangoo I currently have.
cheers swampy

Hi Swampy
There's useful information about dimensions, etc. here:

la4ldesylvie.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=255:dimensions-des-renault-4&catid=30&Itemid=223

(If the link doesn't work, just do a search for 'Dimensions' on la4ldesylvie.fr)

The early F4s had a 'small' (845cc or lower), low-compression (8:1) engine, the later ones, like the GTL and F6, an 1108cc engine. If it says '688' or 'C1E 14' on the engine plate, the compression ratio is 9.5:1; if it says C1E 18 (my F6 has this engine), it'll have a low-compression (8.3:1) head, although there's a good chance by now that the original engine will have been replaced at some stage. The gearbox is also slightly different - in practical terms, an F6 will be happy in 4th for longer than a GTL. Although a GTL feels more powerful, an F6 will go anywhere you want it to, and will cope with amazing loads. Very dog/ramp-friendly, too. It seems happiest at around 50 or 90 kph, though - brilliantly designed to cope with the two most significant speed limits in France!
I've had to replace the rear door rubber on the F6 once in 20 years. However, the inconvenience of the odd leak is more than made up for by the niftiness of the rear flap - and, anyway, a completely watertight R4 is a rare thing.
Good luck in finding one!

Last edited:
Andy, thanks for your help- I have saved the data page. the van does seem like a sensible option, if i get a car the back seat will be permanently folded, or more likely in my loft, and I would probably make some sort of load area lining due to the dogs claws and mud. I now know ( if I have got it right) that the f6 is a little longer than the f4. Did one supersede the other, or were they two options, and did they both have optional windows in the side? The lift up roof rear roof flap would be a big bonus, esp on the rally field ( I play with stationary engines), were they available on both the f4 and f6? Acceleration is not something I am interested in, but grunt matters as I will be towing a trailer, but I was hoping to be able to cruise at 60mph (though not with the trailer on). Still, I restored a moggy traveller when I was younger, and also had a 2cv based Lomax kit car, so I recon I should be capable of doing minor power upgrades and drivability mods. I am going away this weekend, hoping to put a "wanted" ad in middle of next week.
thanks swampy

You're welcome!
Yes, the F6 is a bit longer. The F4 came first, and the F6 was introduced in the mid 70s; in France they made both until the late 80s. Some of the early F4s, including many of the La Poste vans you used to see everywhere, were flapless, but they'd be pretty rare now. All the F6s I've seen have the flap.
There were lots of different window variations - try a Google image search. The vans with full-length side windows often had/have rear seats.
Acceleration is pretty well non-existent, but they will cruise happily at 60 mph.
The attached photo might give you a better idea of how big the rear space is. It'll certainly cope with two biggish dogs better than a GTL.P1000388.JPG

jesus you have got 2 touring bikes in there! LOADS of room. Will check overall dimensions against my garage, though I am sure that I don`t need that much space, so a late lhd f4 might be best. I will weigh it up over a few beers this weekend.
cheers swampy

IMG_2420.JPG
Or with a bed all the way till the front.

Finding a good F6 is a slim chance. You'd have a better chance with finding a good F4.
Make sure it has an 1108cc engine. They have more power and have better fuel efficiency.

thanks for the advice, away for the weekend now. I will trawl internet on specs and generally "bone up" a bit evenings next week then put a wanted ad in.
for me an f4 van is best, but she has to like it as well or it`s one long uphill struggle, so it might be a compromise. Time will tell.
cheers Swampy

Back